Terramycin or not - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Terramycin or not

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Attending club meetings and seminars where sterilized AFB frames have been passed around is as close as I hope to get to actual AFB.
    Sterilized AFB frames? Please describe. The only way I know to sterilize AFB frames is to burn them into nothingness.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>Sterilized AFB frames? Please describe. The only way I know to sterilize AFB frames is to burn them into nothingness.

Irradiation seems to be the common method at the present.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Oh yeah, I forgot. Is that what you meant Andrew? Is there an irradiation unit in ME?
    Mark Berninghausen

mark the frames may have gone thru a eto chamber or gamma irradiation as told at the eshpa meeting. maybe you were outside or having a senior moment. ha ha

Granted, for the first twenty years of my beekeeping life, I only kept six hives, or less. Due to the nature of my work (U.S. Navy) and afterwards my natural inclinations, I relocated often, usually maintaining bees wherever I was. In various locations and different hives, sometimes in new equipment, sometimes in old relocated equipment, I have observed a few cases of each of chalkbrood, parafoulbrood, sacbrood, and stonebrood. More recently I have seen K-wing (result of tracheal mites), PMS (result of Varroa mites), DWV, and even the occasional case of BQCV. There may have been an occasional cell or two of EFB and/or AFB that I did not notice (or perhaps not), but I've never seen a full-blown case of either EFB or AFB, in my hives, nor in any fellow beekeeper's hives. Considering this, I grew into the impression that neither EFB, nor AFB are very common in most of the beekeeping world.

I once purchased a package of Terramycin, formulated for treating honey bees, that was back in the late 1960's or early 1970's, I never got around to using it. I have read that many of the causative organisms of these diseases are usually present, yet are not usually causing disease.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    mark the frames may have gone thru a eto chamber or gamma irradiation as told at the eshpa meeting. maybe you were outside or having a senior moment. ha ha
    I wasn't aware ME had either one of those.
    Mark Berninghausen

i don't really care if duramycin is "approved" or not, i have two hives and i can find it local and for about $4 a bag. If it works then i would go that route, specially since i buy it for my chickens anyway. it does cost slightly more but im sure once i paid shipping to get the terramycin it would probably be about the same if not cheaper.

i did some looking around and found that duramycin-10 is being sold and used as a preventive measure against foul brood. ive only found one supplier selling it though. and i agree terramycin seems to be the only approved drug on the market to help prevent foul brood.

There is oxytetracycline which is labled for bees it is Pennox 343 this is the best way to go .You can get it throuh vet supplys on webb.

I'm not sure where Tony J had the AFB frames irradiated - I'm guessing it wasn't in Maine. But I have confidence that he would not be demoing "live" AFB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12