Terramycin or not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Terramycin or not

I'm wondering if I should treat my hives twice a year as recommended by some or not treat and burn if I ever see AFB - any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Terramycin or not

I would use the tm but burn any afb. It is a good preventive vs cure. just use as per the label.

Well let me ask you this, do you take antibiotics as a preventative for a cold. I doubt it, why not, because your body will build up a resistance to it and it will not work. If you get europian foulbrood give them terymicin and it will be cured. If you get american foulbrood you best bet is to burn them, some states require it others allow treatment but it will never go away and can spread to your other hives. You have the chem free guys with the darwinian aproach. Ultimatly you have to choose who to listen too. In beekeeping you get a solid answer on very few things if any.

Antibiotic resistance of the germs is in the genes. A natural plasmid, pMA67 is present in all the resistant strains of foulbrood.
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jul07/bee0707.pdf

"Antibiotics kill beneficial bacteria as well as pathogens. You may be killing the beneficial bacteria bees need for good health. While little is known about beneficial bacteria in honey bees, when we have looked in other organisms beneficial bacteria have been found."
    http://www.beeccdcap.uga.edu/documents/CAPArticle4.html
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

I'm not big on magic drugs but from my experence with bee inspection makes me believe as a prevention tm is not that bad. If your bees rob local afb hives it can go thru their system without breaking down with afb. otherwise they would have to be burned. seems like a better choice to me. of course the treatment free guys would have a mess.

The natural bacteria of the hive are ESSENTIAL not only to crowd out pathogens, but also for the very existence of the bees as they cannot digest pollen and have to ferment it with bacteria and yeasts to make it digestible. TM will kill all of the bacteria, including the beneficial ones. I have not used TM since about 1974...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

You also may want to read this article from ABJ about TM making bees more at risk for pesticides:
    http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=c0902f4ad8
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

In beekeeping you get a solid answer on very few things if any.
    I disagree with that. 'Few' things is too optimistic.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I have never used it. If I find one frame with afb I burn the frame and watch the hive. If I find more, I kill the bees with sulphur and I burn the hive. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    Well let me ask you this, do you take antibiotics as a preventative for a cold. I doubt it, why not, because your body will build up a resistance to it and it will not work.
    I am in the ID and burn camp. Also, the "don't take any free equipment camp" and the "don't buy any used equipment which you don't know the history of camp". And, "the know whether your nuc supplier uses TM as a preventitive or not camp".

In my opinion there is nothing wrong w/ using TM properly in the Label recommended manner. It's just not necassary for the small scale beekeeper.

TM is used as a preventitive, not as a CURE. I liken it to a Flu Shot. Yes, it is an antibiotic. But, I don't think things work quite like beehonest. I agree, taking antibiotic to prevent a cold will not work. Colds are caused by viruses. Not infectious pathogens like bacterium. And it isn't that your body will build a resistance, it is that the things that antibiotics kill will build a resistance to the antibiotic thru misuse and overuse.

We already have AFB resistant TM. I have asked, but not gotten a satisfactory answer from folks who should know, whether this is from use and over use of TM or if some strains of AFB are just naturally resistant to the drug?

Knowledge of AFB, the IDing of it, and then proper handling of it when found is, imo, stronger medicine than the drug. One needs to know how to ID it and how to minimize the chances of getting it in ones hives.

It is spread from beekeeper to beekeeper mostly by buying it. And w/in an operation by spreading infected equipment amongst the hives one already has, especially after extracting when frames are often shuffled one box to another. Robbing bees w/in an operation pass on the infection. Your bees robbing another apiary also spread the infection. Swarms rarely carry and re-establish the infection, because what honey they have is used for comb production. Which traps the spores in wax scales or feces as it passes thru the bees body.
    Mark Berninghausen

Sorry to confuse the experts, I did mean to say sinus infection. But I figured most people could get my point without sharpening the razor blade to split haires. I am sure something is misspelled also feel free to correct it. I don't know everything and don't claim to but I guess some poeple do. Jrbbees, you are exactly right I was beeing to optimistic.

Thanks for the discussion. I believe that the less medications, pesticides, herbicides, etc. we add to the environment, the better. Saying this, I realize that certain applications maybe necessary from time to time after all I am a farmer.

I have caught all my bees (10 hives) from swarms, cutouts, etc. I have also built most of my own equipment. I did treat in the fall because of fear from lossing all the hard work and the advice of a beekeeping friend.

I don't have so many hives that I shouldn't be able to see something is going on, so I think I'll roll the dice and pay close attention.

If someone has been treatment free for as long as I've been alive, it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbee View Post
    Thanks for the discussion. I believe that the less medications, pesticides, herbicides, etc. we add to the environment, the better.
    Considering what I heard from Dr. Maryanne Frazier last week on pesticides in the environment and in our hives, CCD may be caused as much by chemical interactions as the individual pesticides on their own. So, if we can introduce one less chemical, that to me is a good thing.
    Mark Berninghausen

"kill the bees with sulphur"

I had to kill two hives and used petrol ( gasoline).
    How do you kill them wuth sulphur? If ever I have to do it again I would like to use the quickestmeans.

thanks

Sulfur is used in the smoker or burned on the bottom board. The smoke kills the bees.

I buy duramycin-10 for use with my baby chickens. it is a tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder, anyone know if this would work in a manner similar to terramycin? terramycin was once used to treat the chickens but the duramycin is now used.

The only two approved treatments for AFB are Terramycin and, in cases of Terramycin resistant AFB, Tylosin. Duramycin is not approved.

Dont treat !!! Let the bees be bees !!

mr bush may be correct as only two approved chemicals are approved however it is up to the state. in some states any afb must be burned and no treatmemt allowed. not a big deal as you are looking to prevent rather than cure. we treat spring and fall and bees do well with no afb for about 20 yrs. like everything in beekeeping there is no correct answer as it up to each beekeeper.

I am fortunate to live in an area where AFB has not been a problem for some years. Given that, I do not treat, and am prepared to destroy by burning any hive that develops AFB symptoms. If I'm not sure of what I'm looking at I'll ask for help from beekeepers with more experience than I. Attending club meetings and seminars where sterilized AFB frames have been passed around is as close as I hope to get to actual AFB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast