Ants trying to get into my hive

Default Ants trying to get into my hive

I have my boxes sitting on two cinder blocks right now. I have been noticing quite a few ants trying to get into the hive. They are hanging out at the entrance and some get in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ants trying to get into my hive

Don't try to keep them out. Ants come and go in my hives. I've never seen them to have a negative impact on the hive. Do you see signs that they are hurting the bees?
    Regards, Barry

They are in for the sugar. Many ants do not like cinnamon. Just sprinkle it over the blocks. Then you may also encounter those that are not deterred by it. I had large black and red ants go for it, and I had lots of them. I simply bought an ant poisoning station. The kind you fixate with a peg into the ground and bees cannot get to. Works like a charm.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

If you have small black Argentine ants, cinnamon or poison stations aren't going to work. Amdro ant block is the best I've seen in stopping ants. You can get it almost anywhere and the bees ignore it. It comes in granular form and you sprinkle it on the ground around your hive stand. The ants turn their attention towards it and carry it back to their colony killing it.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Thanks for the advice. I will try the Amdro

I agree with and appreciate Barry's recommendation not to kill the ants. If there is no evidence that they are harming the colony, why kill them? Any poisons will eventually spread to the decomposers that eat the ant bodies and harm your soil health, and possibly harm other creatures that eat ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Amelia View Post
    I agree with and appreciate Barry's recommendation not to kill the ants. If there is no evidence that they are harming the colony, why kill them? Any poisons will eventually spread to the decomposers that eat the ant bodies and harm your soil health, and possibly harm other creatures that eat ants.
    I appreciate what your saying but where one of my apiaries sit, the ants show up by the millions and will overtake and kill a small hive.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.