Yellow jacket nests

Default Yellow jacket nests

I have been returning the favor on the yellow jackets that robbed out a couple of my hives. I found a ground nest and killed it off pretty easy with some powder bug dust (Sevin). The second one was not dying after several applications in heavy grass so I suited up and took a rake to the area. Man what a rush that was. Saying they were not happy was an understatement. I cleared the area to find the hole and hit them again. On the way out I went to where I suspected yet a third one was. I prodded around with a rake until my veil had the little buggers bouncing off of it and tried to zero in on the hole. I think the YJ think if they fly hard enough at the veil they can penetrate it. On the way back to the house I found I had one inside my veil. Looked like a crazy man for a couple of seconds until I got him. I have read that they all die off after a couple of good frosts and I missed my window to get next year’s queens but wow what a rush!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Yellow jacket nests

Nice job! I had a little fun with them as well. I put down little pieces of bacon where they were flying around in my bee yard and as soon as they found a piece, they balled it trying to steal it from each other. I would wait until there were about 15 or 20 on a bacon piece then I just lit them up with my butane torch.

I then found their layer and lit that up like "Apocalypse Now". I can't imagine a more fitting death. I love the smell of burning yellow jackets in the morning.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

I've also heard that you can pour gasoline down the hole.

I wait until the evening (so that all of the wasps are in) and take about 1/2 of a cup of gas and pour it down using a old dawn dish soap bottle so I can spray it in. Then I close the hole with something (paper towel, dirt, etc.) so that the fumes can't escape. I have never been stung or anything using this method. I do need to mark the hole somehow during the day with a stick or something so I remember where it is and can find it easily at night. It has worked very well for me this year. I killed 5 hives in my 1/2acre yard this spring. I just kept finding them. Thankfully it was me finding them and not my 2 or 3 yr. old.

Perhaps this isn't the "best" way to do it, but it is fast and works well.

They die off, but the queen will overwinter in the hole. I'm not a fan of chemicals, because they may not hit the right area, plus they are poisonous. I use natures defense: Ducks! They will find the nest, dig it up, and eat everything. Ducks are immune to their stings, but love the sweet taste of their stores, larva, and the yellow jackets. 10 ducks will eradicate a nest in 2 days, plus they will be happy as can be. Try to find a duck keeper and ask if they can bring some ducks over. My ducks left a huge crater behind. Did I mention they are great at eradicating weeds too. Plus we eat their eggs, which are delicious.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Just a quick update, the YJ seem to have opened up a new hole just inches from the first and away from the Sevin powder that coated the entry. I went with the gas approach that has been suggested so many times here. As for ducks, I had some about two years ago and there was no question that they destroyed absolutely everything. What they did not dig up or eat they crapped on. Pretty bad when you think twice as many chickens are neater than anything.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Yellow jackets seem to enjoy getting trapped in my wax moth traps.
    I keep putting em out and keep catching both.