yellow jackets win in cold?

Default yellow jackets win in cold?

anyone else notice that yellow jackets seem to be active at temps lower than the bees? as the temp drops, the bees seem to do a poorer job guarding the entrance until they don't seem to be guarding it all (they're probably in the cluster?), and the yellow jackets get increasingly more bold going in. maybe they are getting turned away by the cluster at the brood? but they must be getting something in there...maybe honey? anyone else notice this or worry about this? any observation hive keepers know what's going on inside? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: yellow jackets win in cold?

All I know is a freeze kills the yellowjackets. Mine are all gone now, and we only had a light freeze. I never noticed the phenomenon you mention, though. My yellowjackets are just plain bad all the time.
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"

yellow jacket traps from lowes works well

Here in NY YJ's are in a last ditch effort to survive and find food. They'll all be dead soon except for the mated queens which will be our trouble for next summer. Hate those YJ's

zippelk,

You are right. Yellow Jackets can stay active at colder temps than honeybees. We've had a weird season here, and still haven't had a frost. That means there are Yellow Jackets all over everything.

This is the time of year that I like to put out scraps and things for the bees to clean up, but I'm saving them until the YJ's are gone. But until we get a frost, they'll be there.

Adam

i enjoyed watching my bees kill a yj last week. i think the reason they stand colder temps is their tempers, just a guess.

Greetings,
    I had a brutal season against yellow jackets this fall. This worked for me. Put the mouse guard on early to reduce the hive entrance. I had two yellow jacket traps adjacent to each entrance. Grape juice concentrate worked fantastic, better than the lure provided with the traps. I had two small nucs and it may sound nuts but every night for a month I slid a brick over their entrances and opened them back up when the sun hit the hives. I know that if I had not, I would have lost them from early morning yellow jackets sorties. Do not under estimate yellow jackets. C

Just a suggestion:
    Last July I stapled a strip of 1/8" hardware cloth across the front of some nucs that left an entrace of 1/2" to 1" depending on the strength of the nuc and the bees defended their entrancs quite well.
    The nucs were able to live through some triple digit heat waves without any problems.
    You might consider putting on some robber screens to deter the yellow jackets. Yellow Jackets will follow the hives scent at the entrance. But, they have some difficulty locating the upper entrance used by the bees in the robber screen.
    Good luck,
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

thanks for the help i will see what works better

thanks all. I will look into the traps. we've had 2 light frosts already, but nothing killer, and nothing on the radar. I already reduced the entrance down to a bee-width, but when no one is guarding it, it might as well be wide open.

here it is http://www.lowes.com/pd_130831-2226-...asp&facetInfo=. and no one had their bees attracted to it? hey Drone, not even when you put grape juice concentrate in it? thanks

Saturday 9-920 a.m., chilly, overcast, me standing in front of hive with flyswatter. only a couple bees visible during that time, but ~20 YJs swatted coming and going. by 11, it's warmed up a bit, sun peeking through, bees all over landing board, no more YJs getting in. so I built a trap, plastic bottle + 1 part sugar to 1 part water to 2 parts apple cider vinegar + banana peel. caught lots of YJs, and TONS of flies. but it seems to be helping. still no killing frost in sight, unusual for this region this time of year.

I lost two hives to yellow jackets this last week, I guess I was not paying attention. Funny thing was that a weakest nuc with a piece of ½” hardware cloth over the entrance reducer was not affected. I am building some robbing screens (staple hardware cloth to it and done). Found a yellow jacket nest (actually new puppy found it), and have been throwing Seven down the entrance hole hoping to get that queen.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

For the last 2 weeks I've had the entrance reduced to about 2- 3 bee widths and 1/2 hard cloth. I watched today as the girls rolled a yellow jacket out of the hive, caused a back up at the door as the YJ kept grabbing the hardware cloth. They pumbled it and finally flew away with the YJ. I won't open the top entrance (screened for now) until the yjs are gone.