Monsanto buys Beeologics! - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Monsanto buys Beeologics!

This is the part that worries me:

WLC said: "Also, Honeybees aren't an organism that anyone, who understands anything about their molecular biology, would advise as a subject for genetic modification.

Honeybees aren't Maize, and I've decribed them as having Formula 1 Genetics for a good reason.
    Genetic modifications can get around very quickly."

They had better be healthy mods, because we will all be dealing with them. Although as long as I can stay off the radar on even having bees, I shouldn't get sued.

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>Once they get a gene that they own into a Honeybee, and then it shows up in your bees, they own you.

That's one of my two biggest concerns. The other is that once a gene is loose there is no removing it and what if it is not advantageous to the beekeeping world... AHB obviously comes to mind...

>That's their M.O. .

Yes it is. They have done it in the past, just not on honeybees yet.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    Monsanto sues organic farmers for stealing their patented
    Actually, Monsanto sues any farmer it wants, organic or conventional. With over 10 and a half billion dollara in sales last year, they can afford endless legal representation.

To prevent them from putting your farm out of business, don't save seed. Don't let their seed drift onto your land. Don't let birds carry seed into your fields.

They even sued Oakhurst Dairy, here in Maine, to try to force them to remove a note on their label stating that they do not use artificial growth hormone, a product that Monsanto produced at one time.

Since I don't have a full-time legal department, I don't believe I'll be buying any bee-related products from them.

Wayne

Sadly, honeybees have an incomplete genome. Their immune systems are easily compromised due to the lack of a correct genetic code. So it was only a matter of time before some idiot researcher decided to insert only the devil knows what genetics into the bee to benefit some large bioengineering firm. Now having said that, the world is running out of resources. We are going to need all of our ingenuity and resources to keep humanity going. WLC, you got your food stockpile built up yet??? TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Keep talking folks I'm still trying to formulate an opinion on this. A few points, though, do jump out at me.
    1. Any type of genetic modification of honey bees sounds a bit ominous
    2. It may have tremendous potential to do good.....and harm
    3. I don't see how anyone could possibly control the licensing rights to any bees beyond the first generation since honeybee reproduction is so vastly different and more uncontrollable than seed production
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Maybe they will develop a neonicontinoid ready bee.

>1. Any type of genetic modification of honey bees sounds a bit ominous

Agreed.

>2. It may have tremendous potential to do good.....and harm

Agreed. Look at what has happened just trying to manipulate natural genes... AHB are a glimpse on a very SMALL scale of some of the potential for disaster to the bee world.

>3. I don't see how anyone could possibly control the licensing rights to any bees beyond the first generation since honeybee reproduction is so vastly different and more uncontrollable than seed production.

But seeds are not controllable. They are finding genes from Monsanto corn in secluded villages in the Andes who have been saving their own seed for centuries. Pollen blows in he wind and is carried for miles by bees. And yet the courts have let them sue farmers who were not trying to get Monsanto genes at all, but were just doing what they had done for centuries and save their own seed from their own plants. If it were not already happening, I would agree that any reasonable person would think it ludicrous to allow them that kind of rights. But they already are.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Selective breeding of honeybees for good housekeeping or greater honey production is a genetically modifying them, and roundup is a great product.

'Selective breeding of honeybees for good housekeeping or greater honey production is a genetically modifying them, and roundup is a great product.'

I don't agree with the first part. Yes, GMO and the matching products do work, for a time.

What concerns me about Beeologics' advisors is this: some of its Isreali advisors, and 1 U.S. advisor have discovered retrotransposition of RNA viruses in Honeybees.

In fact, at least one of the Isrealis worked w/ Maori, the discoverer of retrotransposition of IAPV into Honeybees, and the resulting RNAi induced immunity to IAPV it caused. The American found other viruses retrotransposed into Honeybees, like DWV.

So, it's possible that they will use retrotransposition to get new genes into Honeybees. This can occur accidentaly when they feed RNAi products to bees, or by design. That's my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    I am a part owner of a consulting company that drills hazardous environment oil and gas wells and provides sub surface geology for environmental concerns, and all my work is consulting on a per day cost or per hour basis. I work for Exxon/Mobile, Valero, DuPont and several other large companies.
    I, yie, yie, public enemy #2, toxic oil companies destine to destroy our most precious resource, water.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Once they get a gene that they own into a Honeybee, and then it shows up in your bees, they own you.
    If people were smart they would ban together and turn that around. It is their gene that is polluting the (pure) species so they should be paying the damages not the other way around. I know our justice system is far from justice but it baffles me how jurors would side with Monsanto to win any case. I just can't figure it.
    Brian Cardinal

roundup is a great product.
    OMG I'm going to puke! Eat all you want.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I, yie, yie, public enemy #2, toxic oil companies destine to destroy our most precious resource, water.
    Acebird:

We are a hydrocarbon based society. Do you have electricity, or mayber a car, or lawn mower or .... Do they operate on hydrocarbons? If you have an electric car, what generates the electricity?

The over use of water from the Ogallaly Acquifer, irrigation from the Rio Grande and many other farming areas is using up our water. Do you water your yard like millions of Americans do?

I agree with you that water is precious, but the oil companies are but a small portion of that problem.

Lazy

This appears to be the press release from Monsanto...it seems to me to be some ominous wording in there:
    http://www.beeologics.com/breaking_news.asp

This thread got me to reading about RNA virus and bees...I'm no medical/chemistry/lab person and at the moment a wannabee beek so I'm definitely in the newbee tier.

What caught my attention is that some researchers believe there is a link between CCD, RNA, and pollen. What I read was that some researchers found pollen brought in by non-diseased bees to be contaminated with RNA viruses...they stripped the pollen directly off of the bees before the bee had a chance to deposit it in the hive. Anybody know how long Monsanto has been fooling around with the genetics of our food supply and how long CCD has been happening?

AHB is courtesy of 26 Tanzanian queen bees being "accidentally released" in South America. Thank you very much, Brazil. I'm sure that Beelogics has been tinkering around with honey bee genes for some time. If they hadn't made significant inroads to achieving some of their goals then Monsanto would not have bought them (Monsanto looks at $$$$). Monsanto is not focusing on making bees healthy, they are looking at making money...if the bees happen to benefit from it it makes for some good public relation work and photo ops.

Looks like one of the main Beelogic people has already chug-a-lugged the Monsanto kool-aid... "Passionate About Bees" By Nitzan Paldi, Chief Technology Officer and Co-founder of Beelogics .

In their research did Beelogic possibly create some super "sick" bees to cure? I sure hope that none of the "ooh, I left the door open, too bad..." genetics of that bee keeper in Brazil are in any of the workers at Beelogic/Monsato. If Monsato decides to "just out of curiosity" explore what happens if they do something like the "terminator gene" in honeybees....how much of a bonus wouldthe goonie get that leaves the door open?

I apologize for being conspiracy-minded, but Monsanto is EVIL. If they can not make money on us or gain some type of control over us...then we are in their way and they could care less about what happens to us...or our bees.

I hope that my feelings are very, very wrong, but I'll have to see proof otherwise to think any differently.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    I agree with you that water is precious, but the oil companies are but a small portion of that problem.

Lazy
    I agree with you on this...all the glyphosate being dumped on our watershed farmland going into our rivers, streams, and reservoirs that's doing more damage than the oil wells. Plus changing the genetics of unintended (native) target plants and in some cases eradicating them...that kind of hurts. Just think Beelogic/Monsanto could design a crop and include a modification that could spread *their* honeybee gene via pollen to local beeks' honey bees. They could probably then have the local beeks arrested for "stealing" their "intellectual property" or whatever they call it...charge'em with trespassing, too, since the beeks didn't exert reasonable control over their bees, keeping them from working the gmo pollen crop.<sigh>

One other thing...what about if your honey is checked and Monsanto's marker is found in it?...do the feds then seize your year's worth of productivity and arrest you???

I'm done here, maybe I'm getting out there a far bit....but not so many years ago who would have ever thought that you could dump tons of RoundUP on a crop and the crop not be damaged? ....or be arrested for saving your great-great-great-grandfather's corn seed?

Ed

The GM genocide: Thousands of Indian farmers are committing suicide after using genetically modified crops

Monsanto’s Harvest of Fear
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 10-03-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If people were smart they would ban together and turn that around. It is their gene that is polluting the (pure) species so they should be paying the damages not the other way around. I know our justice system is far from justice but it baffles me how jurors would side with Monsanto to win any case. I just can't figure it.
    Organic farmers are beginning to sue, and win suits against Monsanto for just this reason. But all the same the damage is done. I don't think organic non-modified canola (rape) exists anymore, due to contamination from gmo fields. (You'd have to research that, I read too much, and retain a bit less everytime.)

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

I agree all of this is super spooky. Could someone explain exactly what Beeologics does? And what they do w/ RNA?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Lazy Shooter,

Give up trying reason with the unreasonable. Some people feed on finding the negative and focus much of their time on it. Instead of focusing on the negative, I see the positive, Monsanto has the financial strength to get serious about coming up with solutions. They'll sell those solutions to those who want to buy it and yep, they'll make a profit. They are not a social organization, they are not the government, they have to balance their books, meet shareholder expectations and are in it for the money. Just like I am too, if I can make a legal, ethical (my ethics) dollar creating a product I will. People want jobs created... but are against what they deem as "EVIL" companies... Where exactly are these good paying jobs supposed to come from? I'm certain there are those who consider my company "EVIL" as well. Personally, I use some Monsanto products and if Monsanto is this effective at making money and defending their patents, I may go buy some stock in the company.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Every bee yard should have no trespassing signs posted. Using the DNA against a beekeeper in court would be problematic.

I think it is fair to post "All Monsanto Employees will be Shot On Sight".

I was wondering when and how the "Man Vs. God" prophecy would reach the Honey Bee. To be honest, I thought the prophecy was already fulfilled with the Africanized Honey-bee, and all we had to do was breed the meanness out of them. Greed will kill us all unless a miracle happens. If the prophecies are true, humans are going to be in a painful way.
    "Karma is my Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast