Monsanto buys Beeologics!
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Monsanto buys Beeologics!

Uh, oh.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9Q1M0UO0.htm

There are some big names in Honeybee research who are advisors to Beeologics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Monsanto buys Beeologics!

Hmmm, does give pause for concern.
    Regards, Barry

Monsanto are the fine folks who have brought us the weed killer "Roundup", something like "Agent Orange", and then genetically engineered crops to be resistant to "Roundup". Hope my girls don't find any of that stuff.

Better living through chemistry--------oh yeah!

Fog

Hope they don't sue us if our queens mate with their drones.

You don't understand.

Once they get a gene that they own into a Honeybee, and then it shows up in your bees, they own you.

That's their M.O. .

Unfortunately, if they put this RNAi gene into a known retrotransposon site, it can act like a jumping gene, and it will get around very quickly.

I picture a time in the future when the busiest sub-forum of Beesource will be "Beekeepers Sued by Monsanto Forum" for victims of Monsanto's legal department.

Wayne

sorry, i'm new. what's the bad history with monsanto? googled beeologics, looks like their developing antiviral meds for bees.

Monsanto sues organic farmers for stealing their patented
    Genes if bees cross-pollinate neighboring fields.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

really?

Read, "The World According to Monsanto: Pollution, Corruption, and The Control of The World's Food Supply." by the award winning French journalist Marie-Monique Robin.

You'll get a feel for how Monsanto operates.

wlc, found the video free on you tube, gonna watch it.

I have worked as a consultant for Monsanto on several occasions. Their chemical plants are the cleanest plants with the least air omissions of any of the several chemical plants that I have worked. I don't have any idea what their plan is for the honey bee operation. I do know something about their genetic engineering of crops, and I don't see any problem with genetic engineering. Now, before you come unbuckled remember their are some where north of six billion folks in our world, and some of the nice tidy things that we do (organic farming comes to mind) will not work to feed the world's population. OK, I've put my hardhat on, so fire away.

They are an evil corporation whose only goal is world food domination strictly for greed.
    Think about it....Buy American

Don't feed the pidgeons....

Don't feed the pidgeons.... ?

When you read about how the introduction of Bt cotton in India has led to the suicide of thousands of farmers, you might say that there are no words that can accurately describe what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Don't feed the pidgeons.... ?

When you read about how the introduction of Bt cotton in India has led to the suicide of thousands of farmers, you might say that there are no words that can accurately describe what they are.
    As for Monsanto...they're evil scum...no use in discussing that being as we're both limited in our descriptive abilities to describe them justly.

The statements a few messages above by Lazy the Monsanto employee, ending with the remark about putting on a hardhat on and "firing away" seemed somewhat inciteful, thus the bird warning.

I believe we're on the same page.

I am not an employee of Monsanto. I am a part owner of a consulting company that drills hazardous environment oil and gas wells and provides sub surface geology for environmental concerns, and all my work is consulting on a per day cost or per hour basis. I work for Exxon/Mobile, Valero, DuPont and several other large companies. Monsanto has been a good client that pays their bills on time and provides a clean and professional work place. For that I am grateful.

I really don't know where all the Monsanto hate comes from, but roundup is a blessing to many people.

for all the problems they have had with the bee industry this is could be a good will gesture along with making more money. makes sense to join rather than stand back and get beat up. this way they can say they are helping save the bees.

Lazy Shooter:

Do you know anything about the players involved in Beelogics?

Beelogics has done some groundbreaking research on the application of RNAi technology on Honeybees.

In my opinion, it's where the next generation of products used to combat agricultural pests and pathogens will come from.

I'm also familiar with some of the research done by key advisors to Beelogic.

I'm sorry to see that some of them will now be 'on the payroll'.

If it was any other company, even Bayer, I wouldn't have reacted the same way.

You don't want a Monsanto to get a stranglehold on Honeybees, either here in the U.S., or anywhere else for that matter.

It's what happens after you sign on the dotted line that has me worried.

Also, Honeybees aren't an organism that anyone, who understands anything about their molecular biology, would advise as a subject for genetic modification.

Honeybees aren't Maize, and I've decribed them as having Formula 1 Genetics for a good reason.
    Genetic modifications can get around very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    for all the problems they have had with the bee industry this is could be a good will gesture along with making more money. makes sense to join rather than stand back and get beat up. this way they can say they are helping save the bees.
    Monsanto does not care about good will nor about *appearing* to help save the bees....and they do the beating, they do not receive it. The money part is right...they'll do *anything* for it...and they don't care who or what gets hurt in the process. I feel confident that they already have an idea of how they'll reap profits from the purchase of Beeologics and that they're looking at how to control this segment of farming.

Conspiracy thinking.....it is historical fact that the best way to control people is with their food and water supply.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast