What is the fill mark on standard 1lb honey jars?

Question What is the fill mark on standard 1lb honey jars?

Have 100+ standard 1lb honey jars that am going to fill from a couple of pails of Knotweed honey. I'm wondering where the fill line is meant to be. I know a pound of honey is roughly 12 fluid ozs so decanted a full 12 fl oz ball jar into one. The water level came to just below the ridge where the label would sit. Is that typically the fill line or is it meant to be the ring just below the scew for the cap on the neck, that would appear to be 1or2 more fl ozs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What is the fill mark on standard 1lb honey jars?

If you want to offer your customers the bare minimum fill to 12 fluid ounces, or fill nearly to the top and they will spread good words about you.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

You really should weigh the jars to be sure. Digital scales really are not that expensive and the one that we have lets to put a container on the scale to "zero" the weight. Then after it is filled you can see the actual net amount. I have never use that jar, but I use the 12 oz jelly jars for creamed honey. If I fill it to the base of the neck it is just over 1lb (by about a half oz).

I fill 1 pound jars to the top. it looks better and does bring back good words about you. The difference between 1 pound of honey and a full jar runs about 1 ounce.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I fgured it might be the top ring. Thanks for the responses.
    This is the stickiest honey I've ever dealt with, am wondering how long it will take to clean the extractor out.

High enuf that you can't see any vacant space when the cap is put on.
    Mark Berninghausen

Here are some recomendations/suggestions when showing honey in competitions:

1] "A week or two before the competition, set out your jars, and locate what looks like an O ring of glass on the outside of the jar that aligns with the bottom of the lid when the lid is screwed on. Your goal is to have the surface of the honey precisely,.. at the top of this ring when you set the jars on the competition table." . Atlanta Beekeepers. http://www.metroatlantabeekeepers.or...wing_honey.htm

2.] "When judging extracted honey, the judges consider the following characteristics of each entry:"

Among others: "Correct fill level (See photograph below)"
    http://www.neflhba.com/nefhbahjudging.html

Sorry for poor spelling in article. You can enlarge the photo by clicking on it .
    Last edited by Oldbee; 09-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.

There used to be a retailing term that was used by small shopkeepers--"We give good measure." This meant (unlike supermarkets) they filled the jar, not just sold you the net weight that would fit in the jar and leave space empty at the top. It was an attempt to keep loyal customers by showing the shopkeeper's generosity. You can make this work for you if you sell enough honey by customizing your labels. If you're putting an ounce more honey in the jar to fill it, put the "Official" net weight with a stirkeout through it and over it print in the higher net weight. Customers love to think they're getting something extra.

Always give full measure, customers do notice. They may not say anything, but they notice.

jd

Fill it to the brim. The Cajuns use the word "lagnaippe," which means "a little extra." If you co to an old time meat market in Louisiana the butcher will weight your meat and then toss a small piece of extra meat into the package and say to you lagnaippe. It's a quaint old custom, and it really makes the buyer feel good.

If you are filling to the brim, filling cases and cases, you will have overflows every now and then. Be aware.
    Mark Berninghausen