SHB is here - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHB is here

Default Re: SHB is here

Quote Originally Posted by Sully1882 View Post
    at that point all you can do is pull the frame and freeze it for a few days... then replace it and let the bees clean it up.

Sully
    I thought that once the frames were slimed that even after pressure washing and bleaching the bees wouldn't take to them, much less with slime on them. So the bees will take to them after being slimed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

i doubt if slimed. but if just full with larvae like the previous pics I froze mine, picked at them a bit with a dental tool and then stuck them back in the hive and the bees cleaned everything up and patched the comb up like new.

hth,

Sully

Gal I got my hive from said she dumped 5 gals of dishsoap water on the frames after they were slimed, don't know if it works. These frames LOOK like they've been through many years of use. They didn't have comb on them.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Hi guys, I couldn't help but notice the debate of wax moth larvae vs. small hive beetle larvae. I just wanted to say for future reference, the best way to tell these two similar guys apart (besides size) is by remembering the wax moth larvae is a type of caterpillar, shb are not caterpillars so there will be 4 pairs of abdominal prolegs present on the wax moth larvae.

Let me tell you a story----Hive beetle came into the State of Alabama. The Queen and Package industry went out of the state of Alabama. The hive beetle was the end of a once proud industry. TED

Want to write a new chapter to that story Ted? East-central AL down almost to Mobil seems to be good area for raising bees... know of any sizable operations taking up residence in that area? If the state needs incentive I'm the form of industry, here I will make an offer... we could join up and re-establish those industries within the state.

I am seeing small hive beetle up here in michigan. Others around central west michigan are seeing them. I have put cd traps in and they are helping.

I haven't had problems with larva except in a pollen patty though. Got rid of that fast.

I have been seeing 1 or two on inspections. One thing i noticed is the bees are letting them out of the traps so I put some powdered boric acid in there. I haven't seen to many beetles dead in the traps so im not sure its working. Does the roach gel work better ? THe stuff i saw was gelled boric acid

The roach gel works, only thing we've found that lets us continue beekeeping! I find the SHB dead in the trap, haven't seen more than 5-10 dead outside the trap in over 3 years of using them.

fish stix - what type of trap are you using? And what is the active ingredient in the gel?
    thanks max2

I have only tried the cd traps once, they were in the hives for seven days and when I checked them the holes were proped and there were no beetles in the trap. Tryed the little black traps between the frames, filled with Mineral oil, No much luck there either. No bettles in them but several in the hive, especially on the inner cover. I made up several of the traps from old sighns. The same fate, no beetles and the things were all proped up I think they are attracted by the mineral oil or crisco in the sign traps.The only sure cure I've found is the Hive Tool and crush the suckers.

With none of your traps working how have you kept your hives alive? From what everyone seems to be saying if you don't keep (working) traps set then your hives are doomed....????

Ed

I rely on my bees to kick the shb down thru my country rubes sbb, from there they hit an olive oiled sticky. But I do not have many shb, probably due to the open prairie sort of landscape that surrounds me. I have a couple of trees. One is big. Half a mile away there is a creek with some trees, but nothing in between but dry brown grass. And that creek has been dry all year.

Russell, your beetlejuice attractant - I'm trying to find a way to merge shipping on stuff, and I won't be buying any queens until I know what the heck I am doing. Is mann lake or anyone that carries woodware carrying it? Because apparently to catch a swarm, or do a cut-out, I need about 4 boxes... and a beevac

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

max2; there are 2 main products of the roach gel, MaxForce and Combat. Comes in a large plastic syringe. Doesn't take much to do the trick on SHB. In the CD cases just squeeze a small amount, the size of a pea flattened, in the center of the case. We just squeeze out a spiral track the size of a dime. Slide one in to the back of the bottom board and, if you have a large infestation, another on top of the frames. The gel has an attractant that draws the SHB in. Don't know what the effective life of the gel is, we replace the traps every month or so. It helps if you tape a long piece of wire, like clothes hanger wire, to the top of the trap so you can slide in and out through the entrance. If I had a decent camera I could show you some astounding results; I pulled a trap out last weekend that had an estimated 3-400 dead SHB adults in it. We normally see 50-60 dead bodies. With those numbers in the hives, even a very strong hive won't last long!

roach gel is usually gelled boric acid. I have benn using the powder, but not very successfully. I see them crawl in over the powder, and then crawl out.

Which means the powder is being spread within the hive!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    roach gel is usually gelled boric acid.
    It's fipronil.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    roach gel is usually gelled boric acid. I have benn using the powder, but not very successfully. I see them crawl in over the powder, and then crawl out.
    Er, not exactly...

One of the most common ones is Combat Platinum Roach Killing Gel:
    Active Ingredient: Fipronil 0.01%
    Other Ingredients: 99.99%

Another common "off-the-shelf" gel is Maxforce FC gel:
    ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
    Fipronil*: [5-Amino-1-(2, 6-dichloro-4-trifluoromethyl) phenyl)-4-(1, R, S)-(trifluoromethyl) sulfinyl)-1H-pyrazole-3-
    carbonitrile].0.01%
    OTHER INGREDIENTS:99.99%
    Total:100.00%
    *CAS NO. 120068-37-3

There are lots of others that have other active ingredients in them, such as DuPont Advion:
    Active Ingredient By Weight
    Indoxacarb (S)-methyl 7-chloro-2,5-dihydro-2-[[(methoxycarbonyl)[4(trifluoromethoxy)phenyl]amino]-
    carbonyl]indeno[1,2-e][1,3,4]oxadiazine-4a-(3H)-carboxylate 0.6%
    Other ingredients 99.4%
    TOTAL 100.0%

I'm sure there are those that have boric acid in them, but I believe most have a more potent form of poison in them with the common "off-the-shelf" ones primarily using Fipronil.

Best wishes,
    Ed

oops sorry that is right. The roach gel i was looking at was like 40% boric acid gelled. I forgot about all the fipronil based ones.

Fishstix,

What are the threshold numbers -- Last year, I only had one yard that they SHB decimated. All the rest had 5 to 10 SHB in them. Didn't see any SHB until around August this year and the numbers are increasing. I took off two top feeder boxes from two very strong hives and each box had abou 30 to 40 SHB in them, which I killed.

I am thinking that I need to take this pest more seriously as these beetles just fly in and the bees can't kill them. I am wondering how much more the SHB can strengthen for this year. I am expecting a killing frost in about a month.

If the frost will not kill the bees, it will not kill the beetles... they winter within the cluster not in the ground... longer winters do help by giving them a shorter growing season though... stay on top of them or they will get worse every year...

We have been working on a line of bees that are less deterred by the slime and thus can clean out shb larvae before it damages the combs instead of absconding... we have a bait that helps to lure adult shb into traps, and we have developed a eo formula that helps to deter them from entering hives... kelley is selling an eo formula in a coaster form that may help to run them out of hives or disrupt their reproducing some.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast