Ideas for limiting manual labor for beeks. - Page 3
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ideas for limiting manual labor for beeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jgd View Post
    Me thinks even Albert Einstein had a bad idea or two. And this one is a bad one.
    jd
    I am sure he did too, but it seems Albert gave them the internal "reality check" before he spewed them forth. He had the reputation for being a very humble bird.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    As a mechanical designer you should learn very quickly ....
    Who RU talking to?
    Mark Berninghausen

Mark if you recall I did say scale matters.
    Yes, you say lots of things. But, you never say anything specific. You leave everything quite open and vague.

At what point do you think anything you have asked about or suggested makes sense or matters?

Here is an idea I'll throw out there for limiting manual labor in beekeeping. For the sake of efficiency, it may be more efficient for one person to work by themselves at most colony manipulations, such as checking hives for supers or applying medications or mite treatments.

In a 500 hive operation, Laborer A will get X amount of work done in a day. If Laborer A is accompanied by Laborer B, how much more will they get done together? Were they to split up to work seperately, would they seperately get more total work done in a day, or less?

I'll bet thoser w/ no experience will have different answers than those who have lots of experience.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post

the beef cattle still need to be artificially inseminated by hand, there will always be people to do those jobs.
    Yeah, reminds me that I miss good old CowPollinator. I wonder what happened to him?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

Here is an idea I'll throw out there for limiting manual labor in beekeeping. For the sake of efficiency, it may be more efficient for one person to work by themselves at most colony manipulations, such as checking hives for supers or applying medications or mite treatments.

I definitely have an answer to that one.... at least from our experience. Have tried it both ways numerous times and have come to an answer for most jobs.... but I think I will wait and see what others have to say... wouldn't want to influence anyone. Plus our results may just be peculiar to us or our situation.

Although not from a apiary view point, unless the job requires two people for heavy lifting or one to hold and item/animal, most times a lone worker produces better when they have nobody to visit with or to count on to take up the slack. Put two or more people togeather and you get alot of BS and lower production. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

BUT if you take a worker along you don"t have to get the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    Hey Oldtimer, you want to give him some idea of how much more productive an outfit that follows simple good husbandry practices can be than a much larger one that gets carried away with standardization? (Don't have to give names of course) ;-)
    Yes it's true, and Robert and I have had a discussion on this.

Without being too specific ( I live in a small country ), the first few years of my beekeeping career was working for others. The highest producing company was relatively low tech, buying a Kelly Boom was as advanced as we got. The temptation with commercial beekeeping, is to start spending increasing amounts of time fiddling with machinery instead of working actual bees, and I worked for one place that fell into this trap. In the interests of streamlining and mechanising, the actual bee husbandry was lousy, and this was reflected in per hive productivity, and ultimately, profit. Working there was a great experience for me, at least in learning how NOT to do it.

Looking at some commercial beekeeping outfits in my country, there is some link, between higher mechanisation, and lower production. And the gap in some cases is quite high.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

there is a term for that which was coined by a cost of production analyist for a rural ag newspaper. It is called "machinery-itis". The need to have everything owned by the farm even if it is only used for one or two weeks a year...instead of renting from a neighbor or go without... Or the need to buy new all the time.

If a honey house is mobile it can be rented and moved to where it is needed, it could be a co-op. Just saying.

Usually when multiple people are doing the same job efficiency goes down but production go up. Profits go up when production goes up. Large companies are extremely inefficient but they make huge sums of money. If you can get the workforce without running out of time on the production line then you might consider yourself golden. If you are happy then you are happy. Can you expand and still pull it off?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Access to bee yards in a heavy extraction trailer... if it would be large enough to be effective, it would also be too large to get close enough to almost any of my hives... thus once again, you are still having to lift the supers and carry them or set them onto pallets (standard ones, just so we are clear), and use a forklift to carry them to the extraction trailer... where is the gain in that exactly??

You say that it wouldn't be feasible for larger operations, so how exactly would it be feasible for a small operation to justify the cost of a mobile extraction facility??
    If you go back to the reference post you will see the hives are already on pallets, no manual lifting or carrying.

The cost of a mobile extraction room should be less than a perminent facility. Usually mobile units do not come under the guidelines of local building codes.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Local building codes would probably be small compared to Health dept. regs for a mobile kitchen/facility, then you have D.O.T regs and a class A lic. and comm. insurance on the trailer. Jim
    [email protected]

If a honey house is mobile it can be rented and moved to where it is needed, it could be a co-op. Just saying.
    Are you familiar with the legalities and regulations of operating a honey house? I don't know about New York (and would not be at all confident that you do,) but what you are advising is illegal here in Maine and in many other states. There are State regulations that require, among other things, running hot and cold water and an approved septic system and a site inspection.

Bad advice. It can not be rented and moved. Just saying.

Wayne

Yes, yuou are just saying. I will say, I bet you have never been part of a co-op. I just came from a Co-op Mtng and I'm going to do what I can to stay away from the next one. People get so petty when they think they have been cheated out of selling something for which there was no demand.

Your mobile honey house would only work cooperatively if all the cooperative members were also cooperatively working their bees. Otherwise, someone's honey will get extracted late and therefore will be tainted by darker honey. Or, it will be really cold when it is time to extract.

Where is the hot room in your portable honey house? How is it heated? Where does the extracted honey get stored? It would have to be in the middle so the trailer wouldn't fall over. Seems to me.

Seems like others flesh out your ideas for you. Clever.
    Mark Berninghausen

what about the empty supers after extracting and the honey. more trips required. this system was used with horses before we had good transportation. to use this system is going back years of progress in beekeeping.

A portable honey house??? well lets see, a semi trailer is what 8 ft. wide and 53 ft. long that works out to be 424 sq ft. that is about the size of a 20 ft. by 21 ft. building which is kinda small for a hot room, extraction, filtering, settling and storage/bottling, not to mention the need to kinda almost level the mobile unit to get the honey to flow in the right direction. and I have seen some out yards you could not get a trailer that size close to. Jim
    [email protected]

If you go back to the reference post you will see the hives are already on pallets, no manual lifting or carrying.
    hives don't get extracted ace, only the supers... no matter how far you drive the hives around on a forklift, at some point in time, someone will still have to take the supers off of the hives...

this thread makes me think what dad used to say. "you might better be quiet and let people think you'r stupid rather than talk and let them know you are. sure are a lot of people looking at it though.

someone will still have to take the supers off of the hives...
    Now. There's an idea. Just extract the whole hive. Don't bother to take off supers. Take the whole hive to the honey house and run it thru the Cowen w/ the auto deboxer, brood, bees and all.

Isn't there a system in which "fingers" go down between the frames and uncap comb and then the whole box goes into a Carousel extractor?

Didn't Tom Charnock have a set up where colonies were brought into a wearhouse w/ a screen wall on one end? The hives were dismantled, manually, the honey taken out, brood frames put into boxes and returned to the pallets, a cpl of scoops of bees taken off of the screen and a queen added to the hive and then shipped out. In the mean time the honey taken to be extracted.

Or something like that? A lovely way to work in FL, fully suited. Still can't get away from the manual labor.

Here's another idea of a way to reduce Manwell labor, don't hire any Manwells, only Juans and Carloses and Johns.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    sure are a lot of people looking at it though.
    Happens all the time when there is a wreck on the hiway. Or a hurricane passes thru VT.
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast