solvent to clean beeswax - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: solvent to clean beeswax

Goo gone is what I use. give it a minute or two and it dissolves the beeswax so that you can wipe it off of whatever you're trying to clean. Then I wash whatever it is with dish soap to remove the last bit of goo gone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    Regular old vegetable oil works fine. Then wash with soap and water.
    I wish people would only post when they have real experience, instead of just speculating as to what might work. In my case, I had a natural beeswax candle drip on my computer monitor (flatscreen, not CRT), so hot water/iron+paper bag/freezer weren't an option, and I was hoping for a solvent that wouldn't damage the monitor.

Here's what didn't work:
    vegetable oil (really?)
    dishwasher soap
    ammonia (i.e. glass cleaner)
    surface cleaner (e.g. 409)
    denatured alcohol (I didn't try isopropyl, as I've had it damage plastics before)

Here's what did work:
    I used an old credit card to carefully scrape off the excess, since I figured it wouldn't be hard enough to scratch the plastic. Then I used mineral spirits to clean off the rest of it, followed by window cleaner to wipe away the residue while it was still wet. It didn't damage the monitor screen or the glossy plastic bezel. Wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. YMMV of course.

I've used Goo Gone, but be aware that the original formulation seems to have been supplanted by some orange goop of dubious utility. Goof Off might be a good substitute.

But my wife hates the smell, and doesn't appreciate mineral spirits, either. My biggest cleanup problem have been when I attempted to melt beeswax in the kitchen. This turns out to be a highly hazardous operation, because if your wife catches you and finds beeswax residue on her stove, counter, or utensils, she'll make you suffer.

I'm shopping for a small hot plate right now, something I can take out to the garage.

Ha Ha Just went through the whole registration process to answer this. I am an encaustic artist (painting with hot beeswax). If you buy a block of Soy Wax and melt it you can dip all your tools, brushes etc and the beeswax will disappear. This will leave an oily residue which you might prefer to leave or you can wash with soap and water. I clean all my brushes and tools this way.

I have been using turpentine to clean the hive tool, but ran out of it. I tried bar keeper's friend, and it works far better than the turpentine ever did. I suspect this will only work for the hive tool.

For hive tools I use the same propane torch I use to light the smoker. Heat 'em up, wipe 'em down with a paper towel.

Wow, now that is the way to light the smoker. :-) I need a few more hives before I can justify the cost, but that is a great idea (both lighting the smoker and cleaning the hive tool).

Cost? $22.95 for an auto-ignite propane torch at the local hardware store. Open the gas valve, press the igniter button, point the business end unto the smoker for 5-10 seconds and you're done. Good and lit, every time.

LOL, OK. I guess I could use it to scorch the insides of stored hive boxes before putting them back in service too...

Quote Originally Posted by LeifLiberty View Post
    I have been using turpentine to clean the hive tool, but ran out of it. I tried bar keeper's friend, and it works far better than the turpentine ever did.
    Another use for Oxalic acid, which is the main ingredient in bar keepers friend.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by stupid_internet View Post
    Here's what did work:
    .... Then I used mineral spirits to clean off the rest of it....
    Agreed! I use beeswax polish a lot in woodworking/furniture restoration and the cloths I use to apply it and lambswool pads I use to buff it off become completely saturated with wax after a while. Soaking in mineral spirits (we call it 'white spirit' here in the UK) dissolves the ingrained and hardened wax to nothing.

I also agree about offering speculation as advice. It may seem like being helpful, but it's not.

Are you sure it is wax and not propolis? Both get quite brittle when frozen and are easy to scrape off. I have done this in mid-winter with my hive tools. I'm sure a little time in the freezer would work too. Put hive tool in bag first, wife might not appreciate wax/propolis on freezer.

Tom

Lighter fluid as in for BBQ Charcoal lighting on a dry paper towel and some rubbing.

I struggle a lot too trying to clean my wife's kitchenware after the honey extraction process. Boiling small amount of water and trying to rinse the wax off...again and again... Then, by a total coincidence, when prepping a wall before painting, I discovered that TSP (trisodium phosphate) actually dissolves the beeswax. Just soak the tools for a while in the TSP solution and you will see!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    Cost? $22.95 for an auto-ignite propane torch at the local hardware store. Open the gas valve, press the igniter button, point the business end unto the smoker for 5-10 seconds and you're done. Good and lit, every time.
    I use the propane torch always now. The wind makes it a struggle, while a torch makes that issue disappear.

I use very hot water, on wax residue. Once its hot it wipes right off. Any remainder will wash off with soap, and a good scrub brush. Make sure its hot!

Quote Originally Posted by AlCol View Post
    I struggle a lot too trying to clean my wife's kitchenware after the honey extraction process. Boiling small amount of water and trying to rinse the wax off...again and again... Then, by a total coincidence, when prepping a wall before painting, I discovered that TSP (trisodium phosphate) actually dissolves the beeswax. Just soak the tools for a while in the TSP solution and you will see!
    Nice! Will have to give this a try!
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

!00% Eucalptus oil is good.Good for removing wax from clothing - Soak the area with E. Oil leave it for a few hours and wash with detergent //warm soapy water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12