Dr Larry Connor in East Texas! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dr Larry Connor in East Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    After all the buildup...that's all you're going to say?
    Larry warned me about you...LOL just kidding. Every other word from him was Palmer or Palmerize. He must like what you are doing!
    What did you want me to say?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Larry warned me about you...LOL just kidding. Every other word from him was Palmer or Palmerize. He must like what you are doing!
    What did you want me to say?
    Mike
    MP- Oh Dear.....I know we helped fan those flames... it's all in fun!

KINGFISHER- How about telling us how he influenced you and the attendees in terms of commitment to queen rearing? Skills? What local activities might this class inspire? Have you already been working together re queen rearing? Are you changing anything about your queen rearing or queen stock based on what you learned?

He was up in Northern VA in May, 2011 (where incidentally is where he first heard that term to "Palmerize" hives from Jim Haskell meaning to break down hives in to OW nucs). The class was helpful for us to see and participate in the process from grafting, starter to finisher (he used a 24 hour swarm box starter box method so this is possible in a 3 day class). We all left with 24 hour queen cells and got to finish them off in our own finisher hives. Subsequently many of us saw queens emerge and still have them in the apiary. It provided education to folks about DCA's and how we can work together to introduce new stock in the area. The class led to at least 3 separate small groups of folks pursuing queen rearing this summer and another smaller workshop for another club. So all is all, a lot of potential queen rearing activity was inspired by this class. It was well worth the time and the money. The challenge is to keep the work up in the small groups and get folks to collaborate without a "Master" class every year providing education and inspiration.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    . . . a lot of potential queen rearing activity was spurned by this class.
    Are you sure? It sounds like the opposite happened, not spurned, but inspired.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Are you sure? It sounds like the opposite happened, not spurned, but inspired.
    thanks. edited. i must have meant spurred.....
    karla

Just wanted to know how it went, how it was received, and if you are gound to start a queen rearing project with your club. And how' Larry...

Yes we have tried to get a local queen coop going but there is close to zero interest. Another guy and I were ready to give a strong foundation to some sort of program but no one wanted to work with us. But everyone likes the cheap Italians from Georgia, screened bottoms, and sugar dusting. People get in this rut because that is what "everyone" does so it must be good. Its hard to get people to see that you get what you pay for as far as queens go.

I will probably not change much because I have based most of my stuff off of what he does. As far as stock goes i think he is happy w/ what i have lol..buckfast from the place he just visited...hygienics...etc. Overall it went really well. I pretty much zoned out for parts of it. Was a very long week preparing for it. Still am in a fog.
    Larry was doing good. He seemed to enjoy the day. We had a nice dinner at our local club's president's house and he (larry) was our dinner entertainment . We always enjoy having him around. He is becoming like family.
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    People get in this rut because that is what "everyone" does so it must be good. Its hard to get people to see that you get what you pay for as far as queens go.
    So you know how to change that, don't you? By showing them the awsome and productive colonies you raise with your local queens.

Yes. I'm trying. But that pocketbook.....
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12