How Long Before You See Eggs After Swarm?

Default How Long Before You See Eggs After Swarm?

I had a honey-bound colony swarm on July 24th (Sunday) from a package I bought and installed in new equipment this spring (I noticed it was honey-bound after the swarm). I opened up the hive on Tuesday (26th) and was quite sure I found a new queen. Today (August 1) I opened the hive and could not find the queen and could not find any eggs. The colony is very gentle, I did not need much smoke or a veil to observe them. Does anyone have any idea about when I should expect to see some eggs from the new queen? This is my second year and I'm still learning the ropes. Thanks, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How Long Before You See Eggs After Swarm?

With a newly hatched queen after a swarm it could be 8 to 24 days depending on the weather and how soon she gets mated. she will stay in the hive 2 to 4 days after emerging then go on her mating flights
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Thanks Clint. I'll check again this weekend which will be two weeks from swarm date and post what I find.
    Dave

Please forgive the unsolicited advice. Did you know that 1 sting to the eye can cause the loss of sight in that eye. After hearing of exactly that happening I will never open another hive without a veil. Clint told you exactly right about the timeline. Good luck!
    So much to learn, so little time!!

1 sting could also kill a person...

I got stung above the eye. Couldn't see quite well that day... I think my eye sight got better after that sting... Many older beekeepers I know work without veils.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Many older beekeepers I know work without veils.
    Yep, and I know one, who has kept bees 50+ years, who had eye surgery last year after getting stung in the eye.
    No thanks. I'll wear a veil.

One sting in the eye, could blind you. Maybe yes, maybe no, the way I see it, it's not worth the risk.

C2

Did that old beekeeper always wear gloves and protective clothing? It is best not to wear gloves so that your body will get used to the venom. Then if you happen to get stung in the eye you shouldn't have to get any surgery because your eye won't swell or do anything.

WATCH this vid and see how a German blonde is making nucs and harvesting honey W/O protective clothing...

Real Women really do have brave souls!

>swarm on July 24th (Sunday)

So there was probably a "just capped" queen cell on the 24th

I would expect her to emerge on the 1st of August.

>I opened up the hive on Tuesday (26th) and was quite sure I found a new queen.

Possibly if they started that queen earlier than usual. But I wouldn't expect her for another five days.

> Today (August 1) I opened the hive and could not find the queen and could not find any eggs.

I would not exptect to find a queen (she'll be a virgin) until she's laying with will be another two weeks usually and possibly three. That would be about the 22 to the 29th of August.

>Does anyone have any idea about when I should expect to see some eggs from the new queen?

You should "expect" to see some by the 22nd. If you don't see them by the 29th, you need to take steps. In the meantime you could provide some cheap insurance:

http://bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Just thought I'd let you know I checked the hive Saturday, August 6th and found the queen and she is now laying eggs. Thirteen days after they swarmed, is this an abnormally short period? The hive seems to be doing fine, but (of course)-the population is low due to the swarm. Would feeding sugar water be of any help to them while they repopulate the hive? The hive still has the 8-frame shallow super of capped honey that caused the honey-bound swarm.

Just thought I'd reply to the eye protection warning. I don't normally enter a hive without a veil, it was just very hot out and humid, so I skipped it because it was going to be a quick check. Thanks for the advice, I will heed it.

Unfortunately, I did not capture the swarm, they hung around for two days about 50 feet up in a tree. The first day (Monday) we had heavy rain. They disappeared mid-afternoon the second day. I set up bait hives, but they found a better place I guess.

Dave

>Just thought I'd let you know I checked the hive Saturday, August 6th and found the queen and she is now laying eggs. Thirteen days after they swarmed, is this an abnormally short period?

There are all sorts of possibilities on timing. First the bees often confine the virgin if the weather has been bad and the old queen hasn't left, so often the virgin is a week old when she finally flies, and she's ready to mate already. Then if the weather is good, she may mate fairly quickly after that and she may start laying as quickly as 36 hours after that. The short and the long vary greatly... I usually calculate the outside (long) and don't get excited until that has passed. Although I might put in a frame of eggs an open brood if I'm nervous.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF