Bricks "language" for hive inspection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bricks "language" for hive inspection

We had heard that some people use bricks as markers on hives, and that when the bricks are left in specific positions that it serves as an indication of the state of the hive the last time it was inspected. Can someone provide me with the key to this language?

Thanks

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bricks "language" for hive inspection

I would also be interested in seeing it.

Bricks can be positioned in one of the 4 cornors of the cover or in the center. (5 places.)
    They can be placed down on their wider side or turned over on their narrow side.
    They can be placed up-right in their ends.
    For example, I place the brick up on it's end so that I know that nuc or hive needs a queen cell or mated queen.
    Two small rocks near the ends of the hive cover indicates it's queenless.
    One small rock on a corner means that its queenright.
    Some of us use lumber crayons or permanent markers and yes they do fade after some time.
    I have seen aluminum air conditioning tape applied to the hive and written upon with sharpies.
    And the classic method of hive conditions is using a 1"X4" X 4" board that is painted with color codes.
    The main objective is to have a simple method and not get complicated.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I don't belive that there is a set language. There is often a brick or large stone placed on a hive cover to prevent it from blowing off, so it is already handy for the beekeeper to use as a indicator of hive status. The placement of the marker may vary from beekeeper to beekeeper.
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

I was trying to use bricks to mark what the hives needed but kept forgetting what the posistions were supposed to mean. I have ended up carring a roll of drywall paper tape, some duct tape and a pencil in my bucket. I rip a piece of the drywall tape off the roll, write what it needs on it and stick it on the hive with the tape. All I mark my hives for are how many supers are full or if they need more room, sometimes I'll make a note about the queen or brood in a hive but I only have five hives. I could see using some type of code with bricks if you were running a bunch of hives, if they had different colors painted on each side you could just look down the row after an inspection to figure what is needed for the next visit.

I know that I came across this "language" someplace. It was in one of my books, but cannot recall which one. I suppose I just need to figure out what I want to know and make a list and then make another list of possible brick positions.

I had wanted to avoid reinventing the wheel if there is already a standard. I want a sustem that shows what needs attention quickly, like from the wheel of the truck instead of having to walk up to a hive and read.

I guess a brick in vertical position would mean queen less since it's the most pressing issue to be resolved.

Maybe bricks running parralell to the front edge of the hive could mean trouble of some sort and bricks running parallel to the side meaning all is well.

I painted three sides of 30 bricks (one wide, one narrow and one end) and will use the broad flat side to stencil a letter number unique ID for each one. That way when we have time to write records we can have a number to connect a hive to.

If I do develop a useful pattern language I'll post it here in perhaps it can be developed into a standard.

Richard Taylor in "The joy of Beekeeping" described his system. I don't have it with me, but it was something like: weak colony, queen right, queenless, needs a super.

right! I took that out as a library book. This is why I couldn't find it in my collection!

I'll base my system on his.

The brick method works good until the kids shuffle the bricks for you
    Now I just carry a note book and keep the hives numbered
    There's not enough sheep dogs and the wolves are coming!!!!!!

I tried the notebook method, didn't really strike well with me. I go through waves of writing down everything (# of brood frames, # of supers, marking of the queen, genetics, ect.), and when that gets cumbersome I just start writing down pressing issues for each one and the last date I checked on them. As you can imagine, that doesn't help that much. I also tried using markers and lumber pencils, but it wears off too easily.

If you figure out the brick "language" (or at least one version of it) let me know. It's worth a try, especially since I need a weight on top of my migratory tops anyway, mine as well be a useful weight.

The brick language is what ever that beekeeper wants it to be, as long as it means something to you it can work fine. Its not needed to be a universal language, I meen how many beekeepers (besides helpers)need to understand YOUR system? after all how many totally agree with YOUR style anyway. Just do it your way. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

I get that, but why try to reinvent the wheel? If a good system exists, why not use it?

Well, the only book I have read that discussed it was Richard Taylor's "The How To Do it Book of Beekeeping" which is out of print I believe. (darn shame too)

It should be availible at many libraries.

I will likely expand on Taylor's system. I'll pick up the book tomorrow and post here with the results tomorrow.

I am not sure how much it matters basing the system on an existing system, but since it's Taylor it doesn't likely contain major flaws an it's nice that it's based on his system.

richard taylor did use a system of brick placement for a hive record. he used to get upset if the inspectors did not put back just right.
    (don'k ask how I know this) It is just something else to pick up put down and pick back up. this is part of the reason commercial guys use the migratory cover. a magic marker or lumber marker works much better.

Part of the reason that I am looking to the brick system is that I just want to be able to look at the yard from the truck, or from some distance anyhow, and see if something needs attention.

I'm not the only one in the yards. And it turns out I am also pretty forgetful. So, it would be nice to be able to tell from a distance what's happening.

We may start using grease pencils too.

painting one end of the cover red and the other green, and have the green in front if all is ok.
    brick flat=feed ok, brick on long edge= feed half or so, brick up=feed low
    works for me
    pete

We use lumber crayons, of the same color as queens are marked that year. I believe it is a black year?

Crazy Roland

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying a painted brick system for tagging my hives this year. I just posted a short video if anyone's interested, but the basic idea is this:

Brick on end = queenless
    End colored red = queenless without queen cells
    End colored yellow = queenless with queen cells

Brick laid flat = queenright
    Colored green = everything's okay, minimal inspections
    Colored blue = need to treat
    Colored orange = need to split

Colored black = deadout

It is often more important what happened 2-3 inspections ago than what happened last inspection. What happened 2-3 inspections ago is the cause. The last brick can only show the effect.

Crazy Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast