Ok, I'm having an issue with pastic now.

Default Ok, I'm having an issue with plastic now.

I know I've been a big promoter of solid plastic frames on this site but after my last hive inspection, I'm starting to wonder. I've been experimenting with foundationless wood frames with 3/4 inch cedar starter strips I coat with melted comb.

My hives with the starter strips are filling out much quicker than the hives with plastic. Some of my hives I alternate to keep the comb straight. They fill out the starter strips first before they will touch the plastic. Spraying the plastic with sugar syrup makes no difference.

If I use all medium foundationless frames without the wires, will it come apart in the extractor? If not, I think I'm going to craigslist the plastic.
    Last edited by Charlie B; 07-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ok, I'm having an issue with pastic now.

I haven't tried to go foundationless yet, but I will next year. Here's a link for you to check out: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

I've also seen several recomendations not to mix plastic with wax. I have no experience with that either.
    Last edited by jadell; 07-19-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more opinion

out of curiosity, are you using black or white plastic? A beekeeper I met in Texas swears that they will build foundation on the white a lot quicker than the black. What is your experience?

I've been using black only. I have several white frames but I haven't notice any difference in the speed in which they fill the black vs. the white.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

I've been using Pierco black plastic, but this year I started 3 new packages, 2 on Pierco, 1 foundationless. At this time they are all about equal- 3 meds drawn and working on a honey super now.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I cross wire all my foundationless frames deeps and mediums.

I have tried white and black plastic foundation along side hives using wax foundation.
    The first week during a heavy flow the hives remained equal. 1 1/2 frames pulled with some spots of eggs.
    The second week the black foundation drawing slowed down, The white foundation continued on, The bees wax hives had drawn out 7 1/2 frames and the queen had almost filled them with brood.
    The third week black plastic 2 frames pulled, The white plastic 4 frames pulled, The wax foundation 11 frames pulled and filled typical brood nest style.
    the fourth week all slowed down because the flow had all but stopped.
    The fifth week black plastic had slowed drasticly so we added more feedersfeeders.
    The white plastic had slowed but was moving along.
    The bees wax hives had all 20 brood box frames and set up for brood. The queen were doing a good job filling with brood.
    The sixth week there were some bees at the black foundation flying their orientation flights.
    The white plastic had more new bees flying.
    The wax foundation had mega-Bees flying around
    All 6 hives were in the same bee yard, All had feeders, All had pollen on the top bars.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

>If I use all medium foundationless frames without the wires, will it come apart in the extractor?

If you crank it up fast enough quickly enough but so will wax foundation. If you go slow at first and fast when they are mostly empty it works fine.

No need to wax the starters. The bees will make better attachments if you don't.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF