Ideas for Fair Booth

Default Ideas for Fair Booth

We're getting ready to man a booth at the County Fair and would like ideas.
    Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ideas for Fair Booth

Me toooo!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

For the typical 1-day presentations, we have a stock background 'Jobs for a Worker Bee' that describes the life cycle and 'jobs cycle' for worker bees. Usually combine this with a 1-frame observation hive and sometimes honey tasting.

This year we plan a larger tabletop display for our County Fair which I title 'got bees!' It includes a Help Wanted - Beekeeper sign next to a hive with pictures of bees and beekeeping on the backdrop. We also have a You can become a beekeeper sign which welcomes registrations for our Spring beginning beekeeping classes. The sign includes a QR code for our county beekeeper facebook page. On the table will be several colors of honey, wax, and beekeeping books. Hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

Almost forgot - we display a beekeeping scarecrow each year. This year it's a queen bee seated on a hive with several large bees (made from yellow/black striped socks) flying around the queen.

Nothing can pull people to a fair booth like an observation hive and bottles of honey! That's one of the best ways to help educate the public about bees.

TJ - some great idea. I especially like the YOU can become a beekeeper part - with the upcoming class we will be offering. QR code- aren't y'all slick!

MJ, we usually do have that obs hive - which truly IS a big draw. Jars of honey that are different season's offerings is good too. We don't sell honey at ours, but I'm checking out why not.

I was also thinking of maybe some largish but to-scale bees to show the differences - queen, drone, worker.

I'm also wondering how we can appeal to new beekeepers. We have an "interesting facts" sheet and also a sheet about what is involved. I guess the class and the rest will just speak for itself? I may be thinking too hard!
    8fr medium equipment

We are adding a kids activity area to our Harvest Festival display areas. We are having facepainting and some deep hive bodies to paint. We'll use the hive bodies in the apiary at the Extension Master Gardeners garden. We may have a primed top bar hive to paint as well. We are also including photos of bee-friendly plants and will have some for sale. The kids are painting some popsicle sticks with gold and black stripes and will be going around sticking them in all the bee-friendly plants for sale at the Festival as well.

The public portion of the Honey Challenge will be in a tent at the Festival as well, so we are hoping that by the time the public gets to the tent to taste the honey they have a pretty good idea of the bee basics.

Another suggestion that I have seen used successfully - take photos of kids/adults wearing a beekeeping veil - everyone smiles. You can print on site or email to their smart phones - or they can give you their phone to take the picture. Background sign with a large bee or hive graphic and name of the event and date. Have fun.

If you want to make a game of it you could take a hive body with an inner cover that has a 3" hole in it for a feeder jar. Give people three chances for a buck to throw a bean bag through the hole in the inner cover. If they get one in they go home with a small jar of honey. Assuming your jars are labeled it might be a good way to spread your name around the county.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Scantily clothed women... works around here.

Smile Re: Ideas for Fair Booth

Thanks, bluegrass, you made me laugh! I must admit, though, my in-built wifely jealousy would most likely cause me to encourage my husband away from that stall rather than towards it.

Has anyone considered offering taste testing? Or is the cost of giving away paddle-pop sticks and honey too high? I would love to taste different flavours of honey - and each taste would encourage me to buy a pot of THAT flavour honey.
    Jeanette

Vermillion - some great ideas. Kids are our future beeks! TriJim - I really like the picture taking idea! That would be easy (we are short on time) and I can see a lot of fun. Jeanette, I thought about that - worried about how messy and flies, etc.

Good thoughts all! (well... Uh... Bluegrass... Uh.... )
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I can beat that! All of the occupants of our observation hive at the recent Greene County Fair were female and naked!

The veil photo op for kids is a great idea!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I think the thin air is getting to you. You are not to say they are naked now everyone knows. Tony

Naked ladies...we could have those plants there for sale.
    8fr medium equipment

We just worked the state fair a week ago, and had a lot of fun with it. We gave little bee stickers to whoever spotted the queen (marked), and we had a good time telling various people that the first person to spot the queen would get a bee to take home.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

Lol - free bee! Love it!
    8fr medium equipment

For our town homecoming I set up the observation hive it draws a lot of people and kids love it, just make sure it is securely fastened to your stand. Since I do bee removals I also blow up pics of some of the removals and place then in my booth it gets the word out and I always spend a lot of time answering questions. If it isn't to hot sometimes I'll wear a full beesuit believe me it draws attention. Other things I've tried have been letting people do rolled candles, given samples of baked goods using honey as the sweetener ( I have a commercial kitchen available for this through my ex-employer to keep the health dept. at bay), used a teaching hive available through Brushy Mountain, and post bee facts around to let people know just some of the things it takes to make honey. The biggest draw for me though is always the observation hive, fair may or may not let you set one up due to liability issues so check with your fair board.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Our fair is two weeks long. So in past years they swap the observation hive out half way through the fair. The club also has a manican dressed up in beekeeping out fit. We also have a teaching hive that has pictures of bees, brood, and the queen on the frames inside the hive. We have lots of hand outs Bee info, honey recipes, info on AHB's, info on the bee club. Last year we sold raffle tickets for a nice gift basket with all sorts of honey and bee related products. This year we are talking about selling tickets for spring nuc, which will come from the clubs hives. We let interested people know about local mentoring cessions. We sell honey, the money goes back into the club.

If you contact your state inspection division or a local University they may have some printed info they may give you to hand out at the fair. We get some hand outs from both the State of Fl. and from the University of Florida.

"mannequin" - I know it is a weird spelling. I had to ask if the spelling was right after my daughter bought another one. I suck at spelling.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    You crack me up! and you call yourself my mentor?