Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

HAS 2011 - Wrap Up

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  clintonbemrose 
#1 · (Edited)
HAS 2011 has wrapped up and by most accounts was a very successful conference. Registration was 382, which was a sizeable increase from last year's 237. Great classes and speakers, but for me the best part is meeting and talking to beekeepers. I met beeks from Maine to Missouri, from Alabama to Ontario, Canada.

Nice selection of venders, most of whom reported that sales were brisk. Some folks who stayed to the end got some great deals when Theo Maxant slashed prices on his remaining inventory.

Usually the site of next year's conference is announced at the final session, but as of now it's still not definite. St. Louis seems to be the front-runner, but there are some questions that need to be resolved. The Illinois and Kentucky representatives also are eager to to host next year's conference.

Next year's conference will be moved a week later than usual because of how the 4th falls. Conference dates are July 11-13, 2012.

#2 ·
I attended HAS for the first time this year and had a blast!
I took the queen rearing classes as well I sat in on some of the other classes. The visiting speakers were all very generous with their time and knowledge, and their excitement about their chosen fields was contagious.
I would do this again - no question!
I have photos from the queen rearing classes that I may post if anyone is interested.
If you attended, I hope you had as good a time as I did. If you didn't attend I hope you give it a try next year.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
thanks for posting. i participated in a class this past May. Interesting to see your starter and how you worked it, turning it around to catch more bees and also an open entrance.
Curious, in Dr. Conner's group did he leave that closed starter outside or move it inside? When it is 90 degrees while doing this, it has been a bit daunting to consider leaving a closed starter outside - a sponge or two is really not enough. We have moved them into the basement.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
We left the starter in the same orientation as the original hive, and turned the original hive around.
Everyone has a different system that works for them, so it was interesting to see a couple of these used side by side.
Yes Dr Connor's starter was taken out of the apiary to a protected area for the exact reasons you mentioned. We were not satisfied with the protection we could offer it in the apiary.
I should also have mentioned that the apiary was brought down from Purdue University for us to use - greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.