When is the nectar flow in the thumb of Michigan?

Default When is the nectar flow in the thumb of Michigan?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know when the nectar flow starts in the thumb of Michigan or Michigan in general. I have a list of plants and when they bloom, but I currently do not have a hive scale. Hives are fairly active, but not building comb on supers. I finally got them to survive a winter and was hoping for lots of honey this year, so far been a disappointment. Thanks for the help.
    Your inferiority complex is better than mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: When is the nectar flow in the thumb of Michigan?

Anyone who wants to know when the flow hits in their area should check out NASA's honeybee net at http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Unfortunately there is no recent data for Michigan, however, from the 50s in Lansing, you have the following:

There is also a closer city with data from the 30s.

The flows have been running here in the Lansing area for about 3 weeks and if you have gotten enough rain then your flow should have started last week. I have about 2 full 6 5/8 suppers on 3 hives. The bees here are going nuts !!!
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Same here in Beaverton Michigan, near Midland, Bees are working their tails off, went to remove a med today and almost dropped it, loaded to the gills with Honey. Last year I never seen anything like this.

Although I am across the pond from you, we should be quite similar. We had several off and on good days in the past, then a break, but today things started up today with "slop". It looks like a "starter" hive on the scale went up 3 lbs today.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by clintonbemrose View Post
    The flows have been running here in the Lansing area for about 3 weeks and if you have gotten enough rain then your flow should have started last week. I have about 2 full 6 5/8 suppers on 3 hives. The bees here are going nuts !!!
    Clint
    Thought you hives were stolen? Get em back or different ones?