ok what going on

Default ok what going on

in the past week i have noted more and more dying bee . fly off the landing board an and hit the ground . hit the ground and try to get back up but cant wondering around in the grass it like thay dont have the power to fly but try . and seam to bee getting worse .thing seam normal in side the hive . we have had some cool nights 55 but we are talking 20 dead each day to 50 a day in a week. before this 3 or4 this is my only hive .what could be doing this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ok what going on

Bees only live around 6 weeks in the summer. Could just be typical mortality.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

If it's a newly installed package, it is common to see the population decrease before the new brood hatches to start building the hive back up. This is why it is important to get a package off to a good start. If everything inside look healthy, with lots of capped brood, I would not be concerned.

Agree with the previous. I would do a mite drop count just to be on the safe side, though. It is not intrusive and will hopefully give you some peace of mind.

I would also grab some of the those newly dead bees (with gloves) and a magnifying glass and look for varroa on them and also see how not-fuzzy (old) they are.

Taking a close look at bees is always a good idea but generally, there won't be varroa on a dead bee and if there was, it would be pretty easy to see. I don't think your mortality rate is severe considering that the population in the colony has probably been on the increase for a while. However, when I had a few cases of deformed wing virus, I also had a high number of listless bees that crawled on the ground a lot. Some had deformed wings which of course explained their choice of mobility. Others seemed to have normal wings but only crawled. I don't know if they had ever flown or not. Some folks call the sick ones "ants". Even though my guess is that all is well, it won't hurt to look close inside the hive for deformed wings. A mite drop count (sequentially, over time) is good data too or you could just uncap some drone cells to see if there are mites. You'll always find some but if you find a lot....in a lot of cells....it's a call to action.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I would check the possibility of tracheal mite.

thanks to all .here is a up date as this morning it still not good lot of dead bee .and it not normal drop . mite count 6 in 24 hr. i see no deformed wings. if any one has a thought s send it my way.

When bees are suffering from tracheal mite I have observed them crawling in front of the hives to the tops of blades of grass and not being able to fly. It is thought that they cannot get enough oxygen due to clogged tracheal tubes. Kelley catalog # 621-S Mite-A-Thol may correct this problem. A microscopic exam would be the definitive way to test for tracheal mite.

are you near big fields of corn or soybeans or orchards?

You might want to check around for some one spraying pesticides around near you. Sure sounds like mites or pesticides to me
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Quote Originally Posted by themrbee View Post
    are you near big fields of corn or soybeans or orchards?
    a few apples. woods to north for miles hay field to south all uncut clover farm land

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Ravenseye. I think I will get out my cheap microscope sometime and stare at a dead beed.

Good thought, themrbee. Pesticides, perchance, or some Splenda like substance or pollen? Lots of attraction, no calories? GMOs come to mind.