"Survivor bees" - Page 17
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: "Survivor bees"

Default Re: "Survivor bees"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Dean, this is what you are advocating for new beekeepers, a 90% yearly loss. For what purpose but to discourage would be beekeepers from ever getting into beekeeping? If I was a new beek and lost my bees using your methods, I would give up.........OR try something different. You have the nerve to criticize my methods-IPM where we do NOT have a 90% loss but instead have healthy productive colonies??? Hey, the proof is in the honey drum, can you say that. I suggest you modify your methods and enjoy having live bees for a change with out the expense of buying or restocking all the time. You yourself in earlier post have said that there is no such thing as a survivor bee. So maybe it is time to quit looking for the "holy grail" by trying to breed what does not exist.TED
    I really do not think the man is getting a 90% loss on bees while trying to produce survivor bees.I really think that when he is seeing a colony that is having problems and would die with out intervention that he is probably requeening with a queen that is a survivor to keep from loosing that colony.That is what I do if I ever have one that starts to go down hill but the down hill are very far and in between now days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    I can assure you that I am much more helpful and offer a lot more time and attention to people that are trying to educate themselves to the best of their ability. The approach you advocate above is akin to crying constantly to get attention from mommy....you might get the "correction" you are looking for, but it's annoying to everyone involved, and all you learn is to spout more misinformation in order to get more attention.

deknow
    It wasn't long ago you swore you would not comment on my post and here again you did, as a psychologist attempting to expose what I think. I see many people in this thread twisting your thoughts also. How do you like it?
    I don't spout misinformation on purpose and some of it is not misinformation any more than someone else's comments having two sides. As long as you are playing the psychologist why do I need attention? Are your thoughts and ideas misinformation because someone else thinks the opposite of you?

The fastest way to learn anything is to be assertive and not be afraid of making mistakes. A newbee that is submissive does what? Pick straws on which one of the scholars are correct? You know how long that road takes? I don't have enough years left.
    Over three hundred posts ago this tread started as "Survivor bees" and now it has grown into and encyclopedia on what "survivor bees" means and how to raise cattle.

Michael Bush has answered my post on several occasions, has corrected me more than once and has never insulted me. I know where the real scholar is.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Scrapfe,
    You are right on with your post 314.

Dean,
    I admire those that have the stubborness to not give up, because it is people like you that may actually find genetics that work without being a large breeder. But many like you that may not have the knowledge of bee genetics that you have are just fluttering in the wind, and you may well be yourself. That is why I have to agree with Ted. I need to leave it to the big boys.

WLC,
    While I appreciate your intellect and your knowledge, and I feel I could learn much from you. I, as well as many others on here wish you would put it in simpler terms. Sometimes I don't know whether I am dazzled by brilliance or baffled by bs.

Mark,
    Get Em. I'm done with thread. I won't be back. Too much arguing without getting anywhere. See you'll on another thread.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That may be so. I tend not to read really long Posts anyway. But, if you don't appreciate the six year difference, then what else are you glossing over or fudging?
    Didn't fudge or gloss over anything. 2011 - 1945 is a 4 year difference not a six year difference so you've done it yourself. The pot calls the kettle black. I have a tendency to round time off in even decades when referring to historical events more than 50 year ago. I'm sorry that you cannot get past that.

I think that this thread has been reduced to a few who want to try and learn what they can and others who don't have much to offer but heckle the former. As for me, all I know is that since I've adopted this approach, I'm able to keep bees inexpensively, with increases instead of losses and most importantly to me, enjoyably. There are others who have wisely, I guess, not posted on this thread knowing that it would be reduced to this but who have also enjoyed some of the same success. This is my last post on this thread because I don't think we're getting anywhere. If you would like to discuss any of this with me feel free to PM. No matter where you stand on this thread, may your bees fly and be fruitfull.
    Last edited by beyondthesidewalks; 07-06-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Have you heard about the work of Dr. Debbie Delaney?
    She is part of of a research project that is mapping and testing the DNA of bee trees.
    I spoke with her last year and she said that she is noticing a growing number of bee trees that seem to be doing better than in past years.
    Here are a couple of short blurbs about her and her work:

http://www.savethehives.com/fbp/Research.html

http://www.savethehives.com/fbp/
    Thank you moderator for those links. I now see that my interest in survivor bees was premature. I see the scientist have the situation under control. And that my further posting on this thread. Is non productive. Being that until it is proven who, what ,and why the feral population is. That it is not a venture based on any exacts. And is not a venture for a newbee of any kind... The bee issues in Puerto Rico should be a prime example of what happens when large races are hybridized into one group. As a newbee I have learned so far. That in this bee industry the larger older companies seem to be more of what I am looking for. Which will work better with my goals of keeping bees. Until I learn more. I will be staying away from the experimental new crowd when buying stock for my apiary. I really appreciate this forum and I will be paying more attention to the threads that are about certain races produced by proven producers. I no longer have the desire to try the feral survivor type combos of any kind.

Valleyman:

All that I'm saying is that working with survivor bees might not be a matter of breeding as many understand it.

It could be that bacteria or molecular parasites are the source of resistance from Dean's description of the process that he's using. That's not breeding or classical genetics.

Snapper, I sure hope you are right about Dean not actually loosing 90% of his bees using his methodology for beekeeping. If he is, then a whole lot of bright eyed and bushy tailed new beekeepers have been boondoogled and led down a dead end trail to a cliff. Time honored methods of beekeeping work, backed by years of effort. I hope new beekeepers will weigh the evidence and make an educated choice on how to keep their bees productive and alive. In the end that is all that really matters. TED

Something for Ace to get a chuckle out of.....400 years ago, alot of my ancestors were running around the hills of north Georgia and the Mountains of North Carolina. They were wondering why your ancestors, Ace, and the other half of my family tree, were bring them lousy glass beads in trade for their beaver pelts and deer skins. TED

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Snapper, I sure hope you are right about Dean not actually loosing 90% of his bees using his methodology for beekeeping. If he is, then a whole lot of bright eyed and bushy tailed new beekeepers have been boondoogled and led down a dead end trail to a cliff. Time honored methods of beekeeping work, backed by years of effort. I hope new beekeepers will weigh the evidence and make an educated choice on how to keep their bees productive and alive. In the end that is all that really matters. TED
    That right Ted,I think I have survivors and I chose my best every year for next years queens.If you have trouble with one requeen and save all your bees and if there is a problem dont be afraid to treat if needed.I believe in survivors but I am not an advocate of letting any die and I feel if a person wants to treat go ahead and do it.I dont need to with the bees I have but like I said if I have the need to I will treat.

I have all the respect in the world for you, Snapper, because you will do what it takes to keep them flying and alive. Even if that includes treating in emergency. That is a true beekeeper. TED

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617