Split/Combine question

Default Split/Combine question

I've got two top-bar hives (built to backyardhive.com's Golden Mean specs).

One is queenright and doing very well, almost to the point where I have no choice but to do a split (14/18 combs drawn). The other hive is in bad shape, no queen, Laying workers, very low population.

Ideally what I think I should do is somehow split the strong hive and combine with the weak one, but I am not really sure how to go about this. First of all, is this a good idea?
    If so, how would I got about doing this?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Split/Combine question

Have you tried putting a bar of eggs, brood, and nurse bees in the weak hive?

Paul,

I did that last weekend. Will check on their progress this weekend. From what I've read it will take more than just one frame/bar of eggs. Once a week for a few weeks. I am not sure I want to weaken my stronger hive that much? Could I introduce a new queen?

One frame of eggs will do it, if they are queenless they will know what to do with the frame of eggs.

You might look for a bar or two of capped brood to add to the week coloney. Leave the eggs and workers to the orignal coloney.

Hal Mack -
    I'm definitely a newbeee, but I thought if you had a lw colony/hive and then also a strong hive, that you took some eggs that have not been capped from the strong queen colony and added it to the lw hive. That way the lw hive could raise a queen? And if all you added was capped brood then you would only end up with more workers in the lw hive? So don't you also need to add eggs and not just capped brood? Just trying to learn as much as possible, I also currently have a lw hive from a swarm I caught.

I picked up that it was a week hive.

If the hive was queenless you are right! So you are right eggs would be needed.

Week hives need workers. Not more work. putting in capped brood will deliver more workers quicker and will help the week coloney sooner.

With a laying worker you may want to just split the strong coloney and forget about additional help for the week coloney.

unless you want the experence.