Height of mating nucs

Default Height of mating nucs

Currently my mating nucs are setting about 6 " off the ground. It is a pain in the back, literally, for me to get down and work them. It also means frequent grass cutting to keep it clean around them. Ants also a problem.

I have been thinking about putting them up on posts about waist high. It would alleviate alot of my problems. But I was told by another queen breeder that it would increase the loss of queens returning from mating flights.

How high do ya'll place your mating nucs and do you have landing boards on front or just a hole?

Thanks,

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Height of mating nucs

I like my new nuc shelves/benches. They're thirty inches high and eight feet long.

The rails on one side have been left off to make it easier to see the leg details.

My 5-frame nucs have top entrances where the cover has been slid back 1/4" creating an entrance slot. My 3-frame mating condo's have 5/8" entrance holes.

I haven't noticed an increased propensity of the virgin queens to drift.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I stack 3-4 pallets and put them on the pallets. I face each one opposite to the one next to them. Seems to work pretty well.

Mine are fairly low to the ground. I built a caging bench to sit on while I cage and has storage for the caged queens
    Most of what I know about beekeeping, the bees taught me out of self defense!

Mine are on pallets or pretty low on blocks. I work on my knees quite a bit in them. I'm only in a mating nuc for a couple of minutes though, so I don't notice it like working a bigger hive where my back starts to talk to me while trying to find the elusive queen. It's the larger hives that I like having higher off of the ground.

I keep my colonies and nucs on stands with 12 in. leggs. The nuc stands hold 2 nucs, the colonies 1. I carry a folding stool and do most of the work sitting down. Using a stool and work stands to sit the supers on while inspecting saves the back!

I do not use landing boards on any of the bottom boards, colonies or nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by Broke-T View Post
    But I was told by another queen breeder that it would increase the loss of queens returning from mating flights.
    Is there any truth to that? I've seen pictures of several different mating yards with the nucs set on posts. Buckfast Abbey comes to mind.

No need to worry about the height... just make them comfortable for you to work... we have thousands that are 6"-9" from the ground (tall grass doesn't bother them either, so long as its not so thick that it causes "pile-ups" coming in)... we also have indoor nucs that are set along the walls with the entrances piped to the exterior... small slats are used to create landing boards on the outside of the walls and a color pattern is drawn around each entrance... they all make it home just fine, and these entrances are as high as 12' in the air... another person that may be able to give you their experiences with stands is Greg Stahlman, he is a member here and made stands for mini nucs this past winter... you can pm him (or maybe he will see this and post here) to ask if he had any troubles with returning queens finding the right hole in standing height nucs.

Hope this helps.

I keep mine between 18" and 3' and have lost very few queens. My log for the last 5 years shows about = loss at either height. 2 to 7 queens out of the 75 I make.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

the height of the stands should make no difference. our stands sit at a comfortable working height which is around waist height. several benefits that may even improve the percentage of queens. varmits cannot climb the stands and knock the lids off, fire ants will not be all over the nucs, and never have to worry about flooding issues. your knees and back will surely thank you (as well as your stress levels lol!!)
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.