Royal Jelly collection and double grafting

Default Royal Jelly collection and double grafting

2 (not entirely unrelated) questions.

How do you collect royal jelly - I'm thinking suck it out with a syringe maybe? Third day after grafting?

I'm considering giving double grafting a try. Only 24 hours after grafting there is already a significant amount of the wax queen cell built onto the JZBZ cups I am using. When you double graft do you leave that or not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Royal Jelly collection and double grafting

On the royal jelly, anytime I am in a hive that is making queen cells, and i do not want the cells or queens, or some of them, I collect the royal jelly when tearing down the cells. I take a Chinese grafting tool and just scoop it out. It is amazing how much you can get out of a few cells. Works great for priming. Keep in fridge or freezer. It will dry out so keep it sealed tight in a small container.

Not sure on the double grafting, but was just getting to that part in Contemporary Queen Rearing.

Back when I bothered with it, I used a small spatula.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

We have some specially designed syringes for it. David, want me to mail you one to play with?

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    We have some specially designed syringes for it. David, want me to mail you one to play with?
    That would be excellent - I have a small queen order pending with you that you could just send it with. Thanks!