hives per acre? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hives per acre?

Default Re: hives per acre?

Quote Originally Posted by Luterra View Post
    An interesting but expensive experiment would be to plant patches of irrigated sweet clover in the middle of a barren desert and place different numbers of hives different distances from the patches to assess honey yield.
    Still, that same experiment in a different terrain might give different results.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>Scrap Iron

I just got it! Scrap Fe
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

So here is what I did, not knowing what carrying capacity for my area. I have 120 hives. Six apiaries with 20 hives each. They are all within 6 miles of each other, about a mile apart each.

Today, a noted bee researcher paid a personal visit to me. My one question was Am I at carrying capacity? She said, Yes. That my area would best hold 80 hives. (My beekeeping situation is unusual, and I do not have the ability to move my hives anywhere elsewhere). I'm "over grazing".

She said the commercial rule for clover is 40 hives per apiary, separated 2 miles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by FameFlower View Post
    She said the commercial rule for clover is 40 hives per apiary, separated 2 miles apart.

Well you could do the same. 40 hives 2 miles apart for 6 miles is 120 hives... So where is the over grazing?
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post

Well you could do the same. 40 hives 2 miles apart for 6 miles is 120 hives... So where is the over grazing?
    Yards placed 2 miles apart would overlay by 1 mile... right?
    "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."
    - W.T.S.

Two hives in the same apiary overlap don't they?
    If I can place 40 hives every two miles for a total of a 6 mile span I should be able to place 20 hives one mile apart for a total of 6 mile span is all I am saying. To me the grazing characteristics should be better in the latter because there are less hives in each apiary. Having more apiaries should better determine where the nectar source is stronger so more hives could be placed in those apiaries.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    40 hives 2 miles apart for 6 miles is 120 hives...
    40 hives 2 miles apart for 6 miles is 160 hives.

40 hives 2 miles apart for 4 miles is 120 hives.

30 hives 2 miles apart for 6 miles is 120 hives.

Quote Originally Posted by FameFlower View Post
    So here is what I did, not knowing what carrying capacity for my area. I have 120 hives. Six apiaries with 20 hives each. They are all within 6 miles of each other, about a mile apart each.

Today, a noted bee researcher paid a personal visit to me. My one question was Am I at carrying capacity? She said, Yes. That my area would best hold 80 hives. (My beekeeping situation is unusual, and I do not have the ability to move my hives anywhere elsewhere). I'm "over grazing".

Really? Seems kinda close together to me. Especially your yds only one mile apart. Seems like that is plenty close when it comes to robbing.

40 colonies per yard says nothing about how many per acre.
    Mark Berninghausen

My answer to this question comes from my experience here in NW Arkansas. When I had 17 hives in my home yard, I had predatory robbing during high summer when there is nothing blooming. Right now, I have 20 and it's getting dry. I'm going to be moving eight hives to a new yard on Friday. That will get me closer to what I want of around 8 hives per yard. It's not as efficient as having a whole bunch in one big yard, but it's better than losing hives to robbing. I lost two last summer and nearly one more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlbuwJUg2U

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12