Mating nucs on a large scale - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Mating nucs on a large scale

Nice plan Oldtimer... I do somewhat the same thing in my smaller nucs that I overwinter, as well as some of my observation hives...

Get ready guys, we will be launching fourway minis (half length frames) soon... the beauty of our fourway minis and the threeways (all in deep or medium) is that they can be used on hives like standard equipment and the bottom board can be set on a full size hive to allow the nucs to go through winter benefiting from the heat of the hive... giving you early overwintered queens and pre-stocked mating/production nucs...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sounds great Robert, if it weren't for the freight to NZ I'd take a bunch of those 4 way ones myself.

I think they'll be a hot seller, commercial guys could use them, and guys with just a few hives could benefit from owning one or two of them also.

After I read your nuc designs I considered making some myself, but standing behind a sawbench is the side of beekeeping I don't enjoy so much, (although I still seem to end up doing it!). If I could buy some I would.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I know what you mean... maybe I can set up a producer and distributor in NZ or Australia in the near future... the fourways are the most versatile small frame system there is... they can be overwintered on the stand as they are, on a hive using the special bottoms, or stacked up to let the upper units serve as supers turning the three frame holes into six frame doubles... they can be placed on hives with foundation (or empty frames for foundationless) to draw wax and pre-stock frames with brood, food, and bees... or they can be stocked by bulk bees, given a cell and stacked indoors like regular mini nucs, only these hold four nucs/queens per box... they come in deeps or mediums using half length frames... so the bee keeper is not limited by the design of the equipment at all...

The threeway full length frame mating nucs give the same options, just in a full length frame, holding 3 instead of 4 nucs, but they do not have the stationary divisions, so the boxes can be used as standard equipment if needed...

The singles hole mini nucs can be stacked in groups of four to fit perfectly in top of a ten frame hive as well... and we are working on a new design for the duplex mini nucs to allow them to be stacked on ten frame hives in groups of twos...

The whole idea of this line is to standardize equipment that can serve multiple purposes and save money and resources for bee keepers while promoting their experience level and the sustainability of their apiaries... I think that the industry as a whole will benefit greatly from it over time...

Robert looking forward to seeing mating nucs on your website. I am currently using the styrofoam two ways from Mann Lake and am not happy. I am about ready to give up stocking them with just bulk bees. The way they are constructed, there are a lot of places for bees to get out with all the screens and poor design of the lid. Even with an inner cover we still get bees spilling out.
    I just wanted to confirm, when you stock your mating nucs in the spring, you just add one frame of brood, a blank frame, 8 oz.’s of bees, a ripe cell at dusk and only close them for 24 hrs.? 24 hours seems like a short period of time. Everyone I have talked to recommends putting your mating nucs in a dark room for approximately 3 days after your add the cell and bulk bees. I would like to be able to make up my mating nucs in the yard and not have to store inside and transport to the mating yard. Any insights would be appreciated. Your breeder queens are going great! Thanks.

Dr. Russell,
    So glad to see on your website that all the new products are sale priced at $1.00! Wow, can't wait until they are available as I've saved & saved!

Best of luck on your (our) new venture and thanks for all you sage advice all over these forums!

Kindest regards,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    I just wanted to confirm, when you stock your mating nucs in the spring, you just add one frame of brood, a blank frame, 8 oz.’s of bees, a ripe cell at dusk and only close them for 24 hrs.? 24 hours seems like a short period of time. Everyone I have talked to recommends putting your mating nucs in a dark room for approximately 3 days after your add the cell and bulk bees. I would like to be able to make up my mating nucs in the yard and not have to store inside and transport to the mating yard. Any insights would be appreciated. Your breeder queens are going great! Thanks.
    That's correct. But keep in mind that every situation is a bit different... I do this depending upon the weather in that location, what forage is available, and how much time I have to spend there... in some cases, I may use a shop or enclosed trailer to store stocked nucs for a few days... especially if I have run low on drawn mini combs in that location or if the weather is too good, or too poor... somewhere between miserable and beautiful is perfect for just about all things bee keeping... if your bulk bee supply is low, take no chances, put them in doors in a dark cool place with light syrup and a good cell...

The fourways are available now in both medium size and DEEP size... giving you 5 deep half length frames, meaning a serious little nuc with plenty of room for a queen to lay heavily and develop well... these have a special bottom board and no holes in the box, so the bottom board can be placed over a full sized hive and you can winter four queens over each full sized hive and have early queens and fully stocked nucs first thing in spring... if you are in the early stages, you can place these boxes directly on production hives and let the hive draw the combs and fill the cells with food, brood, and bees, then set them on their bottom boards giving each a cell and have pre-drawn, pre-stocked mating nucs...

The threeways are also available now and also have a special bottom board that allows you to overwinter them over full-size hives... and the benefits to the threeway is that it uses the standard length frames, that match your regular equipment, the boxes can be used as standard equipment while not using for nucs or queen rearing, and they can be used to produce multiple strong nucs to sell, all from one piece of equipment...

Hey Robert help me sell some of JN's two way minis first. Have to many for wife and I to handle! LOL
    larry

Lol. How many do you need to move and how much are you asking for them?

Dr. Russell, can you please get your web person to specify what you get with those nucs? IE - hive body, bottom board, inner covers, 1/2 size frames, assembled, etc? Prices look pretty tempting - even for a wood worker like me.

So far I haven't regretted using all mediums, but this is why I tell people I would probably go 10 frame if I started over.

The single minis ship unassembled and once you put them together, the bottom is stationary... no frames or feeder.

The duplexes ship pre-assembled and include everything except for frames and feeders... for the individual hole covers there are two plank covers included and a small telescoping top as well...

The threeways ship with the box unassembled but the special bottom board is pre-assembled... three individual wood plank covers are included but you will need a telescoping top or migratory top to cover the whole box... no frames or feeders... available in medium or deep...

The fourways ship completely pre-assembled... four individual hole plank covers are included and again you will need a telescoping or migratory top to cover the whole box... no frames or feeders... Available in medium or deep...

All of these boxes are finger jointed and specifically designed to handle the heavy use of a high demand operation... the threeways and fourways both have the special bottom boards, and zero vents or entrances cut into the boxes themselves so they can be used on production hives to build comb, act as standard equipment, or overwinter either with or without multiple queens...

Hope this helps!

Thanks. You know for the pre-assembled boxes the shipping would be almost the same if they were full of frames - and it would be like a ready to go, all in one kit. Just a thought.

True, but many people already have the frames, so we decided to separate them so people had the choice and the cost could stay low... but for those that do need frames, the frames are packed inside the nuc box when it ships, so the shipping isn't really effected by adding frames to the order. Thanks.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789