Mating nucs on a large scale - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mating nucs on a large scale

I made three different, four section medium boxes last winter to try mating queens at. I had mixed results with my first batch of queens (about 1/2 or 1/3 made it), but I wasn't sure if it was the boxes or if it was me (still think it was me). I just checked on my second batch today, and I think a few of them flew the coup. I'm starting to think that the sections might be a little bit too small (or I didn't stock them correctly).

I think I'll spend the winter building a few medium three frame sectionals. Once I get those done, I think I'll try and duplicate some of Russell's mini's (they do look very sweet). I think if I try all three different types, along with trying a few 5 frame nucs, I'll be able to see what I have the best success with.

I'd also like to try and build a few of those division board feeders, like Mr. Palmer has, that not only divide the section up but count as a feeder as well. Still can't see how he makes those though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>purely because it can take a fair bit longer to actually find the queen, than it does in a baby nuc.

I doubt it takes me longer with two medium frames than a baby nuc with four small frames, but four deeps would definitely take longer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I agree Mr Bush. But in reality I have been there done that with different hives under one roof. It just does not work well for me. Unless you have a good 2 frame medium nuc box plan. Then I am all ears.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I'm not going to go on record as stating that what Mike suggests in post #77 is a real efficient way to raise a lot of queens but it is almost exactly what we have done in years in which we have surplus brood when nucing. If done early enough you can easily raise an extra queen or two and still end up with a nice 4 comb nuc when you are done which is pretty good property in early May. Easy to stock, enough room for queens to lay out, no messing with bulk bees and easy to tear down when you are done and we always seem to catch 85 to 90% in them. Only downsides are that it can be a little difficult to find queens at times and you are using more bee power than is necessary.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Exactly. Last thing I really want to figure out this winter is making 400-500 mini frames and then swapping brood having to buy bulk bees etc. The main idea is to have something to work with post fact...not a bunch of mini frames of brood. And who said I was going to raise a lot of queens? My goal is 500 queen cells made next year....give or take. Simplicity rules! I do realize that it will take some extra time to find queens...but it sure beats having to dig in narrow boxes and have odd sized frames.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

>I agree Mr Bush. But in reality I have been there done that with different hives under one roof. It just does not work well for me. Unless you have a good 2 frame medium nuc box plan. Then I am all ears.

I have quite a few two frame boxes, but it takes a lot less lumber to build 4 way boxes.

Here's a plan for a two frame medium. Cut a one by four into two 7 1/4" lengths (ends). Cut two 19 7/8" length of one by six (bottom and cover). Cut two one by eights (actual width 7 1/4") 19 7/8" long (sides). Cut a rabbet 5/8" deep and 3/8" wide on the ends (the 3 1/2" width) for a frame rest on each of the 7 1/4" one by fours. Stand the two 7 1/4" ends with the rabbets down and lay the bottom on top, center it and nail it down into the ends. Turn it on one side and nail the first side on. Flip it over and nail the second side on. Put it bottom up and nail down into the sides. Put a shingle shim on each side of the cover to make the entrance and glue and nail those.

Done.

I have about a dozen of these. But I have more than a hundred of the four ways and a dozen two ways (five frame nucs divided) and a few three and four frame ones and about fifty five frame ones...

But the four ways are much more efficient use of the lumber.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I know I have posted this somewhere before, just can't remember where. Lol.

You could always just cut the groves for the division boards into all of your deeps (assuming you winter in doubles with a super above) then in early spring simply pull the top deeps and put them on threeway bottom boards and place a deep of foundation on the hives in there place... that way you simply put in the division boards, add cells to all three holes, and when your done mating queens, you cage one from each threeway and pull the division boards to let them combine... then once they are ready to accept the queen again, release her and add a deep of foundation to the top of each one so they can build up like splits... this way you are making increases, controlling swarming, not constantly robbing brood frames, and mating queens at the same time... also, your threeways will need to be weakened every now and then while mating queens, so that gives you brood and bees to make nucs with for resale... its a simple and productive way to keep all the same equipment and mate multiple queens from each box and there is very little lumber involved (only the threeway bottoms, covers for each compartment, and division boards to make during winter)... several of my student workers use this method solely and simply sell the extra singles when they are done mating queens if they do not have space for all of the hives...

Again, I know I have explained this method before and included pics... if anyone can point me to it, I would appreciate it. Lol.

We have study observation hives inside the lab that are cheap and simple (one deep frame with one medium frame above) set up indoors for controlled temps and constant monitoring... with tapered tubes leading to the entrances that line the exterior wall... we use these for many studies, and have mated many queens very early using this simple set up that requires very little resources to stock and you can view the entire process as it happens... so you know right away if a cell doesn't hatch or if a queen doesn't return... and you can judge their pattern and get a better idea of how quickly she is filling out the frame... also, these overwinter with ease... we initially set this up to judge the time it took for the Sunkist to begin laying and measure the lengths and record the times and number of mating flights that they took... usually only took about 7-8 days in Feb, 6-7 days in March, 5-6 days in April... we don't use these to mate queens for resale simply because there is so little space that you can't leave the queen to lay for long enough for my liking, but its a good example of a simple method that one could use to mate 100 or so queens at one time early each spring without ever pulling resources from hives (other than the initial set up of course... I have used the overwintered queens from these to start off mating nucs before and it works well...

Ha Robert!, your post #87 is just about what I'm doing.

Over here, we are just going into spring now. As per your post, & my pics a few posts back, these 3 frame nucs have just been through the winter, and all came through fine, no losses. They are just starting to get more active now and beginning to collect nectar and pollen. The queens in them are already pre-sold but no drones flying yet so the queens won't go until there's enough drones for me to plant new cells.

As you said, these nucs do tend to get stronger so I'm removing bees and brood from them as required during the season to make hives or nucs that get sold.

Considering these nucs can winter, I'm finding it all up quite a reasonable way to run a small bee breeding sideline. I only need a few full sized hives for cell raising and a bit of honey.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Exactly... Great minds think alike. Lol. As we are still in summer here, it would be the perfect time for someone to start pre-converting their deeps and cycling them onto their hives by simply transferring the frames from the deeps that are on the hives into the deeps that they have converted, then convert the empties that they take off and continue that process until they are all converted over to be dual purpose boxes... we pre drill entrances in ours and then simply plug the holes, but using bottoms like the ones you have would save them from even having to do that... all they need is the grooves cut for the division boards and they are ready to be set on hives so they can be used as soon as they are building up in spring... for areas where they may not over winter as threeway nucs, simply pulling the division boards and marrying the three nucs back into one single will work and a super of honey can be placed on top or if there is a flow after they are finished using them as mating nucs, a second deep can be added to be drawn out and give you three times the number of mating nucs as the year before... its easy, uniform and effective.

Heres what I plan on using next year:

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downlo...yMatingNuc.pdf

I've not ever tried plywood in hive building, but I think they will work out ok. Im going to try them as 2 frames first, and if they dont work out, will pull the dividers. Im enjoying this conversation, please keep it going.

Brushy mountain sells one similar to that, its a standard deep with compressed cardboard division boards... the bottom has the notches entrances in it like Oldtimers photo, and the vents are spaces between the thin slats that make up the floor... they work well and since they are standard deeps, you can place them on hives and pull them off already stocked to mate a few queens whenever you need to... the only draw backs that the brushy mountain ones have is they are not good for fighting off shb and the center two holes are slightly smaller than the outer ones, so they are hard to draw deep frames from without rolling the queen if you are not used to it... the gaps it the floor are wide enough for shb to get in with ease, so the bees propilize them most of the way shut, which greatly reduces the air flow... the center two holes are just small enough that a cd trap can't quite fit flat in the bottom of each nuc, so you run the risk of losing those holes, which would leave you with only two functioning holes and some nasty combs to clean... so in my experience, three holes is safer if the center holes of the fourway are not going to allow you to trap shb... the design that you posted may be perfect, I'm just referring to the brushy mountain fourway...

The Bushkill design is basically what I used, only I made mine from pine instead of plywood.

I think next season I'd like to try some three frames from the Bushkill design (just changing it a little bit) in addition to the two frame design. I like that you can make four out of one sheet of plywood, although I don't know how well it holds up . . .

On second look at that design, why does he have 1/4" Luan as the bottom? I would think you would want something a little bit more sturdy to be the bottom, even with the 1"x2" bottom rails.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    ... the gaps it the floor are wide enough for shb to get in with ease...
    That applies to most screened BBs doesn't it? How important is bottom ventilation for mating nucs? I think you told me that many of your 1/2 frame nucs have solid bottoms - right?

I hope SHB can't get through #8 hardware cloth when it isn't damaged/flawed. Anyone have experience with this?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have a screened drawer on my observation hive, protected with #8 hardware cloth. Mainly used to clear away old cappings, things that randomly fall to the floor, that kinda thing. I installed it in hopes to one day do a mite count, but since it's so small it doesn't really ever have a mite problem. Anyway, occasionally I would find a SHB chilling in the drawer. I don't know if it was because it got through the hardware cloth, or if it got through there some other way (they are tricky little bugs, and will find a way in if they can).

Pretty much everybody I've met who has tried dividing a deep into 4, (lengthways that is, ie using standard frames), has had various problems with it and ended up making some different design. These include some of the problems mentioned already such as can't get the frame out without rolling the queen, too small to get your hand in if you have to pick the queen off the wall, and even (so i've been told), poor mating %.
    Dividing a box into 3 also has a few issues but not enough to make it a bad idea. I get excellent mating % with them so that seems to be fine. Just make sure all chambers are the same width, so they all have some wiggle room with the frames.
    Dividing a deep into 2, will give you stable nucs, but you'll spend quite a bit of time finding queens when you are caging. Dividing into 3, will give you 50% more queens, than dividing into 2, for basically the same equipment.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Has anyone tried one of those battery powered bug vacs to catch a queen? I would not surmise the vac w/b that powerful to harm her. Perhaps an answer to not needing to get your hand into a 4 way or any other nuc to capture the queen and some attendants.........

We use minis, mediums divided into 2 compartments and 4 frame nucs. The minis work well in Spring thru May here and do not take as many bees to stock. You can shake enough bees from one hive to stock about 13 minis. Mediums are used to make queens and sell med nucs. The deeps make it thru the summer and in to fall. Wish the mini nuc feeders wouldnt leak so often. We melt pariffin and dip them. Must be doing something wrong. Any ideas on feeders.
    larry

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast