crazy package arrival
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default crazy package arrival

Pretty crazy story for my first package bee install...

I ordered a package of bees last month for shipment on 5/14. The shipper would not insure it because of the distance but I went ahead and took the chance. To my surprise, I got a voicemail from the post office on the 16th that my bees arrived and I needed to come pick them up. I was thinking they would just deliver them to my house but I was excited so I had no problem going to pick them up...it is about a 20m drive.

When I arrived at the post office I went inside expecting to just grab my package and head home...they tell me I have to come around back because the package is damaged and the bees are getting out. I went around back and didn't think it was going to be that bad because I know most people aren't real fond of bees...when I get near the loading dock there are 100s of bees flying around...the post office workers wouldn't go near it. I didn't have any protective gear at all and I decided I would just check it out anyway...it was either that or drive another hour so that I could have protective gear.

Once I got close enough, the problem was apparent, it wasn't damage at all, the shipper used a piece of wood with a huge knot on it (hence a huge hole) so bees were coming and going freely. I had some duct tape in the car so I made another judgement call to just try to tape it instead of driving for an hour, the post office guys seemed to want it taken care of right away. I carefully pushed bees away and taped up the hole. I put them in the car and drove home. There were about 10 bees that were flying around in the car but they stayed in the back so the trip wasn't too bad.

At any rate, just thought I would share the story, I found it hard to believe someone would ship a package like that...see attached picture.

pkg.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: crazy package arrival

What a mess! I wonder if there are still bees flying around the post office, looking for their queen, saying "I left her right here!"
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

That is exactly why FedEx quit flying them for the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by blist View Post
    the post office guys seemed to want it taken care of right away.
    As far as I am concerned you did a removal for the post office which means they should be free. How do you know if they will make it? I am not sure I would have accepted that package without some kind of compensation.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-17-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Duct tape to the rescue again........

I would most definitely send photos and story to your supplier. How many of those will it take before the USPS says no more bees.

"..just thought I would share the story, I found it hard to believe someone would ship a package like that..."

Eh, what a maroon... shoulda gone to Pismo Beach.

Well I figured since they didn't insure it, I had no real recourse.

I did call them and tell them it was ridiculous that it was shipped like that and they said they would pass it on.

We are talking about a well known place and people order from them all the time even on the forum.

Well? Which place is it?

Got to think, what is that new phrase? Oh, Man Up!

This is a good reason why there is a "Consumer Report" forum. It helps educate all of us, and hopefully have businesses strive to improve as well.

I just didn't know if it was allowed (posting the names of companies). The package was from Walter T. Kelley (kelleybees.com). Since they were shipping to Texas they would not insure it. The funny thing is, it only took one day to get here...probably because bees were all over the place and they didn't want it sitting around.

So if you want your bees shipped overnight without the extra charges, you can request a crappy box?
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

possible

The lady I talked to at kelleybees could not believe they arrived the next day.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-17-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: quoting

You have no idea how many bees were gone, I would demand a new package, or dispute the charge.

Kelley has no control over the packages they sell, they just take the orders, the package gets shipped directly from the supplier out of GA.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

While that may be true, Kelley is the one selling the bees. I would expect they would correct the mistake and send the guy a new package.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-17-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: quoting

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Kelley has no control over the packages they sell, they just take the orders, the package gets shipped directly from the supplier out of GA.
    regardless, whoever did it was pretty negligent IMO, common sense should tell you that bees will get out of that knot hole, Kelley sold it they should take responsibility for it even if they use someone else

like I said, since it wasn't insured there wasn't much I could do about it...though insurance may have not covered it since the package itself wasn't damaged

They took the money for it, they are responsible.

My point was that complaining to Kelley isn't going to make much difference, they are still going to buy the packages from the cheapest supplier.

I prefer to purchase direct from the source and not deal with a middle man. That way I know exactly who to complain to and may actually have a chance of getting results. Plus the Walter T Kelley package is 83.00 from them and 80.00 direct from the supplier, so why pay more for the same bees and an inability to get them to take responsibility when an issue presents itself?
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

understood, I got my order in late, didn't have a lot of choices, and I'm not informed enough to know who the supplier is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast