Marked Worker???

Default Marked Worker???

So i was inspecting on of my hives today, which happens to be the same hive that the queen took over a week and a half to start laying. I started it as a package two weeks ago. And I noticed that one of the workers was marked with a white paint dot on her back. I believe 2011's color is white. Has anyone else seen this in a package they have gotten?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Marked Worker???

Are you sure it's paint? I had one that looked like that last year, and it turned out to be pollen which she smeared on her back while pushing it deep into cells.

Adam

Yea its definitly paint. Its a small dab on her back just as if she was a queen. I tryed to get a pic but had trouble. I'll try again on my nerxt inspection

The obvious answer is you're mistaking the queen for a worker. If she's just getting started, she is probably small.

Thanks for the obvious answer but its not the first time I've opened a hive and can tell the difference between a queen and a worker. And second I don't use marked queens in any of my hives. So needless to say its not the queen.

Is it possible that the package came from a research facility? The reason I'm asking is my daughter lives near Arizona State, and they frequently see working forager bees with dots of color just as if they're queens.

Or maybe someone was just practicing marking a queen.

Maybe someone in the area has a bee box and is looking for hives.

Possible but someone may have been beelining. When I am searching for local/feral/survior stock in gums and other areas I will bait and catch workers to mark and follow them back to thier hive. If I was to assume that is what you are likely seeing.

I never thought about that. We had two students that did a project on honey bees a few years back and set out traps on our farm. And the county extension farm is only a couple miles from where this hive is. They might have caught her and marked her. I would think its a little early for that around here though since none of the crops have any flowers on them except for the strawberries but bees love strawberry flowers so maybe one of the farms around has someone doing a project on it. I'll have to ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo501 View Post
    Thanks for the obvious answer but its not the first time I've opened a hive and can tell the difference between a queen and a worker. And second I don't use marked queens in any of my hives. So needless to say its not the queen.
    No offense meant, your profile indicates you just joined so I assumed newbee.