Could this accidentally cause supercedure...

Default Could this accidentally cause supercedure...

I've been finding the frame of brood that I want to graft from and putting it in my cell builder on the day before I plan to graft - then returning it to its original hive after I take the grafts. Last time I did this it rained on the intended graft day so that frame of eggs and brood spent about 36 hours in the cell builder before it went home.

This frame was solid with open brood and eggs on both sides.

Of course they had started raising a few queens on that frame - at that point they were just regular looking cells with a noticeably large dose of royal jelly in them - those larva seem to result in extra large grafted cells by the way, but that isn't the point of this thread.

When I return that frame to the hive with my pet queen is she likely to swarm or be superceded if I left one of those would-be queen cells on it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Could this accidentally cause supercedure...

I've found out through the process of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" on several/many occasions that any errant queen cell in a cell builder or, especially your best breeder queen hive, is a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't put those frames in the cell builders; the bees are just doing what you wanted them to do in the first place by building cells. Then you're condemning your breeder queen by placing the cells back in the breeder hive. BTW, what is the purpose of storing the grafting larva frame in the cell builder?

I thought that leaving them in there overnight night make grafting easier because they wouldn't be as dry. It didn't really make much difference as far as that goes but I think that the graft from the barely started queen cell resulted in a very large finished cell.

Also putting a frame of open brood in gets the cell builder primed to feed larva. In theory. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

I have gotten the best results by grafting no more than 2 hours after pulling the frames. My success rates run between 95 to 100 percent. Of course I have only been grafting for 20 years.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964