Package Queen Not Laying

Default Package Queen Not Laying

I installed 4 packages last saturday that were from Gardners. All of the queens were released by day 4 and 3 of the hives were loaded with eggs. But the forth had no eggs. So i figured I'd give it a couple more days. Well I checked the hives today and 3 of the hives were loaded with eggs and 2 had larva. Then i checked the forth hive and found the queen but still no eggs. She is definitly a young queen but so are the others. She seems healthy and very active. Maybe shes a virgin Queen?? My question is do you think I should call and have a new queen sent to me or give her a little more time? I'm just a little worried be cause I don't want to wait too long and loose the hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Package Queen Not Laying

Personally I would give her another week, it wouldn't hurt to call your supplier and give them a heads up but she has only been out for 4 days or so.

Yea i bought the packages through Highland Valley Apiaries who got them from Gardners. I spoke to Ron from Highland yesterday and he told me to give gardners a call tomorrow and see what there advise is. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and what was done.

had a similar situation recently, with a few more variables, anyways i waited her out and now shes laying nicely.
    Gus

I had a package from gardners and the queen is a drone layer. nice pattern, just all drones. yesterday there were two supercedure cells, capped. Ive removed the queen and am letting them try on their own. I cant remmebr if she had some worker brood early or not as they were installed in early april. Anyway, these queens may be duds as well if they raise them from drone eggs....but they are nice looking cells!

Out of 10 packages I got from Gardners only 1 has not laid any eggs.

Out of 10 packages, 2 had really high death rates of bees (estimated guess 1 lb of bees).

Out of 10 packages an extremely large amount of drones found in all 10 packages (more than what I would like to see).

The queens that are laying, are laying nice full patterns. Bees are building up on the slow side but they are building and storing stores.

Over all I give them 8 our of 10 on package producing scale. 10 being perfect no problems.

I have seen package queens lay in four days and I've seen them not start for two weeks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I inspected the hive today and sure enough she started laying. I guess I'll have to learn to be patient. Thanks for the help.

Timbo,
    Not saying anything bad about Garners bees, but they had some bad weather and other things go on that they got way behind on things this year. Some of their queens I think were rushed.

This is one of the few drawbacks of having more than one colony to work with. Like many, I've hived multiple packages on the same day and became concerned a few days later when I found a slow queen. Patience is indeed a virtue for me and the bee's have often helped me exercise that. It goes the other way around too. I've had queens shut down at different times nearing late fall or going into a dearth and I get alarmed because I appear to have a queenless colony. For me, being patient during these times was a wonderful lesson.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Tim,

Glad to hear that the queen started laying. I did hear from a few folks that experienced the same thing and they all worked out. thanks for being patient.

Ron