To super or not to super? With pics.

Default To super or not to super? With pics.

Reading around here and other websites, thanks M. Bush, I'm familiar with the 70% or 7 frame rule. Using 8 frame hives should I wait until 5-6 frames are fully drawn out or should I add a super now?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1096751...27753931188274

Thanks for the advice.
    Ben
    Last edited by tben; 05-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: To super or not to super? With pics.

Nice pics - you might consider rotating a frame in and let them start drawing that out before supering but this early in the year it may not make a difference. The idea would be to move one of the drawn frames up to intice them up into the next super so your moving an empty down to take the place of that one... On the one picture you ask why are they clustering on the inner cover. I think you have the winter side down and it is giving them too much space above the top bars. An inner cover typically has a winter and summer side. The summer side has a shallow rim and keeps the beespace of 3/8 above the top bars. As bees don't draw much comb in the winter and in order to aid in ventilation or provide space for fondant or other feed, the winter side has a deeper rim.

Good luck,

Pete0
    Bena, VA

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0 View Post
    I think you have the winter side down and it is giving them too much space above the top bars.
    Good observation. I actually made the inner cover myself, integrate a top entrance into it. You confirmed my guess that it was the violation of bee-space that is causing them to cluster there. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMM View Post
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, the beeyard is at my mom's house and she's a professional photographer.

I won't argue with Mr. Bush about when to add a super but this colony doesn't need one yet. In a week they probably will but I bet there are at least four frames not drawn on both sides. When you start to see some burr comb whitening on top of the frames it is TIME! The advice to move your outside frames on both sides in is good. One to right in the middle of the cluster with the frames on both sides tight to it. Will open up your brood nest so they don't think of swarming and it will help get those outside frames drawn. In a week you will want to put a second box on and indeed move a frame up right in the middle to get them moving up. Just one mans opinion :<}

Cluster still too small to super, looks like just about half full...about another 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to wait until this weekend to make another inspection and possibly add another box.