HSC, acceptance, feeding and burr comb

Default HSC, acceptance, feeding and burr comb

Novice question alert!

So, my new packaged ladies are on an 8 frame medium super, with wax coated HSC. The have a top feeder (this style for brushy bee with the little floats). Its been 6 days, and this morning I went in to check the syrup levels and (as I had feared they would) - they had started building comb in the space between the inner cover and the floats of the top feeder.

I know acceptance is always a problem with HSC, but will it just come to patience of my constantly deconstructing the burr / wild comb whilst feeding or is this method futile?

Should I change my tactic and move to a mason jar type top feeder instead to cover the inner cover pill shaped hole?

There seemed to be a lot of activitiy - lots of ladies (and some drones) spotted. I'll leave the wild comb out for them to clean, since it looks like there is some syrup (or maybe nectar, I can't tell the difference) stored in the new comb.

Thanks, as always, in advance for any advice - and thanks for all the patience shown by the experienced members in continuing to answer probably the same questions over and over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: HSC, acceptance, feeding and burr comb

I have not used HSC. Isn't that the plastic drawn comb frames? If this is the case I would ask, have you looked to see if the queen is laying? Are there eggs and larva in the cells? If so I'd suggest just doing what it seems you've already done, cut out the burr comb and keep filling the feeder. Make sure you keep a clean bee yard and put all that burr comb in a pail or bucket and not on the ground.

Good luck,

Pete0
    Bena, VA

Hi Pete0

Yes, HSC is the fully drawn plastic cell. Bees are notoriously reluctant to use it especially if they have another option.

I haven't checked the queen is laying yet - I had been advised by my package supplier to wait 10 days... Although I plan on checking tomorrow (and cutting it to 7 days).

Thanks!

I would try to reframe from checking so much or checking to soon all the time! Once you do see eggs and larvae the less you interupt the hive the better it will be! Good Luck!!

Exactly - I'm only opening up to resupply the top feeder, not dig in the brood chamber at all - I haven't opened that part, and will only do that once I check that the queen has been released
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-22-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: UNQ

....use a jar feeder over an inner cover (or a piece of plywood with a hole for the jar feeder). this will force the bees to cluster between the combs.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by franklinminty View Post

So, my new packaged ladies are on an 8 frame medium super, with wax coated HSC. The have a top feeder (this style for brushy bee with the little floats).
    I don't see the attraction in these feeders... The idea of the floats is nice but I prefer the screened-in Miller style feeders.

Franklinminty,

Could I ask what method you used to apply wax to your HSC. It's certainly not easy... I followed Michael Bush's advice and warmed the HSC before dipping in wax.

If I ever did that again, I would set up the dipping part of the process outside. I had a layer of melted wax floating on top of a large pot of water. The coating was fairly decent, but it wasn't easy.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I don't see the attraction in these feeders... The idea of the floats is nice but I prefer the screened-in Miller style feeders.

Franklinminty,

Could I ask what method you used to apply wax to your HSC. It's certainly not easy... I followed Michael Bush's advice and warmed the HSC before dipping in wax.

If I ever did that again, I would set up the dipping part of the process outside. I had a layer of melted wax floating on top of a large pot of water. The coating was fairly decent, but it wasn't easy.
    As a new beekeeper, I took the best advice when ordering equipment. I'm now thinking I should have gone this way too regarding Miller style feeders, or indeed the mason jar feeder (which is what I'll most likely use for tomorrow's package installation).

Coating the wax drove me crazy. I tried various ways with the layer of wax on water (as I don't have clean wax readily available), but it was far too messy and inconsistent. I ended up almost painting on a thin layer of molten wax. Fiddly work, and something I'm happy to not have to do too often since I'm only using for regression. That said, I ran foul of running out of time - had to be done before 4lbs of the little ladies appeared.