Air Staple Gun for Foundation Frames
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Air Staple Gun for Foundation Frames

Hey there:

I need help/info/input on a good, reasonable priced air staple gun. I am needing to put together my foundation frames. I am on a pretty tight budget, and this is an important consideration.

I see in Mann Lake catalog, that gun is really high priced for me. I also need a source for the staples, Mann Lake gun uses 3/8" x 1 1/2".

Thanks a lot, and I'm awaiting on needed info. Been on internet and ebay looking, also. Want to make sure I get something as best as I can for the money.

Thanks in advance,

casper_zip

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Air Staple Gun for Foundation Frames

Search...there are half a dozen recent treads on this. I use a Harbor Freight gun...made/fixed 75ish frames...made 15 lids/bottoms....a gazzuldle of nuc boxes etc. I get the staples from them...also get them at a local hardware store.

MIke
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

If all you are using it for is to staple frames together you can use the cheapest 1/4" crown stapler you can find. I think I just saw one in the Northern Tool Catalog for $19.

Don't know how much difference it makes but I prefer using a narrow crown stapler to a regular or wide crown version. Seems to work better on frames and not causing splits in the wood.

Interesting that you say that. I am using a 1/4" crown staple and was thinking of buying a bigger one.

You say the 1/4" works better re splitting etc huh?

My thought was that the larger crown would spread the impact out and provide the holding power over a wider area.

I guess in my case it doesn't matter much as I glue everything too. The staple really only holds it until the glue dries. The glue provides the strength over the long term.

I've really only seen my frames come apart when they've been left out in the rain and submerged a couple days. Then they fall apart. Usually even if left out in the rain in the spare area, they eventually dry and are fine.
    Troy

I bought this one a few weeks ago at Harbor Freight for $19 on sale:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gaug...ler-97521.html
    it also can be used for brad nails.

Watch and it will be on sale again.

I got 5000 1.5" staples for $15 at Harbor Freigh too.

I assembled 200 frames from Mann Lake with it, built 10 nucs, 5 SBB so far. You get what you pay for but for $20 and a 1 year warranty I'm pleased. I can see where a wider crown might be better but my I didnt ruin any of the 200 frames I put together and the holding power is incredible!

Hi,
    I use staples that are chisel tip which helps to lessen splitting, also coated with a bit of adhesive that softens from the impact of driving through the wood which adds a bit to bonding and galvanized to lessen rusting. I also use a bit of Titebond III wood glue on the components.

I use a pneumatic Duo-Fast stapler and 18 gauge staples - 1/4" crown x 1 1/4" long for assembling frames. You have to watch where you place them but you'll get the hang of it after a bit.

Also using a jig, for assembling ten frames at a time, that I found here on Beesource. Just do a search.

Best,
    Tim

Here is mine, I personally disagree with buying the cheapest, I like quality and like tools I can give to my kids someday, comes from being a mechanic for over 30 years I guess (Snap-on baby!!). It is 1/4".

Last edited by NasalSponge; 04-06-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Staple size

comes from being a mechanic for over 30 years I guess (Snap-on baby!!).

While we can argue over brands, having been a carpenter for 37 years,I've learned to buy quality, too. But if this guy wants to get up and running, just get the one in his budget and when it wears out and he's decided that it's a an indispensable tool, he can replace it with a good one.
    I have used the whole quality range of this tool including the $20 model and can assure you it shoots staples.

I use almost the same setup. My stapler is a Hitachi. I also use the Titebond III. The blue label in your pic is Titebond II I believe, which is probably just as good if not wet.

I live in Florida where everything is wet in July and August, so I use Titebond III.

I also use the jig to assemble 10 at a time.
    Troy

I have the $20 brad nailer from Harbor freight and have used it for several years. I originally bought it for a trim job that I had. I use it for about everything that I've put together along with glue. It has worked very well. The only thing I wouldn't buy from Harbor freight again is the air fittings. They don't last at all IMO.

As far as glue. . . Titebond 2 is waterproof. Once it's dry it's good to go. My reason. . . Regular titebond is stronger than the wood, Titebond 2 is stronger than "regualr" and 3 is stronger than 2, but also more money. I have used titebond 2 for everything in the hive that I've assembled or built. I want to waterproof, but not the expense. If whatever you're doing causes something to break check out the joint. If the glue failed find out why. I tried even getting plywood apart and couldn't w/o demolishing things.

IMO I'd buy the harbor freight nailer again, and I glue everything that I can with Titebond 2.

Troy: I use titebond III these days which at Lowe's was the same price as II last time I purchased it.

I use a Ridgid brad nailer...It's a nice tool with a lifetime warranty, and only $100 at Home Depot. I figure it's worth a little extra money for that warranty- I know I'll never have to buy another nailer again. (Plus it comes with a pack of brad nails, so figure that's worth at least $15).

I use the Harbor Freight 1/4 inch stapler, pneumatic, with 1 1/2 inch resign coated staples that I buy at my local building supply. Sometimes they have the brass staples that are resign coated and when they do I buy about 30,000 of them. They are the best and never rust and I use them for much more than my hives or frames. The cost of the unit was $17 and they paid the freight. Yours might be a dollar or two more I get a big discount from them because I buy a lot of their products. I use elmer's ultimate glue. It is water proof and the wood breaks before it does. Haven't ever had a frame break or get loose with the coated staples and this glue. The glue requires that the surfaces have moisture to adhere. I dip my frame parts in water and let set for about 10 minutes before gluing and stapling. This softens the wood and I almost never have a split when I staple them and I staple through the ears also, top and bottom.

little john

I guess in my case it doesn't matter much as I glue everything too.
    So why aren't you using a brad stapler?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    So why aren't you using a brad stapler?
    Double your pleasure double your fun.....

There are air powered brad nailers and then there are air powered staplers but if you want to use the very best use a brad-stapler. This little beauty (harbor freight sells one too) shoots 18 gauge 1/4 inch staples and 18 gauge brad nails all from the same gun and without adjustments.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Old school here. Hammer and nails Elmer’s carpenters glue. I don’t leave frames uncovered in the rain. Inside the hive if it’s wet enough to make the glue come apart, it’s to wet for the bees. Same with boxes, if they are painted correctly the glue ain’t exposed to the weather. Inside the hive, if it’s so wet the joints come apart, it’s to wet for the bees. Water proof glue is a waste. I’m just saying.
    Iím really not that serious

I recently finished assembling about 6500 frames. Used the Bostitch narrow crown stapler as shown in NasalSponge's post. 1/4 x 1 1/4, 1/4 x 1 3/8 is also fine. I tried a cheapo stapler I got on sale at Menards and it literally wouldn't shoot staples without jamming. Returned it for a new Bostitch.
    Don't forget the cross-ways staple in each end of the top bar...but if you're using 1/4 x 1 1/2, the staple is too long and the tip of the staple will come out the top of the top bar. *If using new-style frames with the thinner top bar*. Stick to the sizes I mentioned in the first paragraph.

If I was using glue I'd do what Jim Lyon recently mentioned...grab a handful of end bars and apply the glue to all of them at once before inserting in the jig (assuming you're using a jig...I sure would for any large number of frames).

This little beauty (harbor freight sells one too) shoots 18 gauge 1/4 inch staples and 18 gauge brad nails all from the same gun and without adjustments.
    OK Shop Smith mentality. When you are interested in saving time you want dedicated tools so you are not changing and reloading all the time. Some contractors will load different size nails in multiple guns so you are avoiding this time loss problem. I can see where a hobbyist would lean towards the fits all.

I dip my frame parts in water and let set for about 10 minutes before gluing and stapling. This softens the wood and I almost never have a split when I staple them and I staple through the ears also, top and bottom.
    Two things: if the wood is wetter than ambient than it will shrink as it dries. That will tend to break the glue joint. Next is that the brad vs. the staple will not split the wood in the dry state because it has Ĺ the cross sectional area penetrating the wood. Since the brad / staple is only necessary for the time it takes the glue to cure you are better off using the brad and keeping the wood in the natural state, moisture wise.

Old School: rosin nails are good but they still have a larger cross section than a brad nailer. When we bought our first bee hive kit from BetterBee it came with nails. Even though the bottom cross bars were preslit the width of the nail spread out the bar on some of the frames enough to crack the outside edge of the sidebar.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Most people just soak the endbars...

This is not new.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast