Now What?!? So Disappointing!!

Default Now What?!? So Disappointing!!

Beginner beekeeper here - only one hive, first winter.

Last weekend, I looked at my hive (didn't open it up) and found that everything looked GREAT!!! Lots of activity, clean entrance - all good.

This weekend, I went out to find every bee was dead. My frames are full of brood, no pests. Hundreds of dead bees working on each frame.

We had warm weather and then several days of freeze. That is all I can think of! Oh, it just makes me sick!

Now what? Brush the dead bees away, scrape the frames with brood, and repackage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Now What?!? So Disappointing!!

Try to find someone who will sell you a nuc of 5 frames, ie. local bee club.... The bees will clear out the brood. OMTCW

Bees can starve in a hurry, and they are very
    reluctant to come off brood for food even when
    it's only inches away.

Sorry to hear this.
    Closing in on retirement.......

Quote Originally Posted by Presidential View Post
    Hundreds of dead bees working on each frame.
    Wow..zombie bees?
    Buy a nuc? Na, I say talk to a friend that is willing to give you a couple of frames of bees and boord/eggs minus the queen or contact your local fire and police dept and let them know you will round up swarms.

C2

Is there any honey left at all? Were they bringing in pollen? I remember reading a post recently where someone mentioned that they saw lots of bees coming and going, thought the hive was great, but really all he was seeing was robbers, and the hive had died out long before.

Collect those dead bees and send them in for an evaluation. I seen multiple posts where you send them in for free to the USDA and they will check them out and tell you what you are up against. You study history to keep from making the same mistake again. Anybody know of the mailing address? Please post your findings if you do this since I am curious.

I would love to send in a sample - but, I am pretty sure the freeze killed them. Zombie bees - It was just like that. They were all stopped cold in their tracks. WEIRD! They hadn't been dead long. I was picking them off the frames and checking out the brood - everything was still very fresh, not dried out or "old" looking.

They still had some honey, but they did consume quite a bit over the winter. I didn't take any last year, since it was a first year hive. They have done a beautiful job working the frames. Everything looks great - except the dead bees!

Bees can starve in a hurry, and they are very
    reluctant to come off brood for food even when
    it's only inches away.
    This is a very good point!

We had warm weather and then several days of freeze. That is all I can think of!
    If you can predict this in the future a liter of warm sugar syrup a day or two ahead of the freeze when they are flying will go a long way to carry them through the freezing period as long as it isn't too long.

if this is not who got your bees from try him he has good bees may bee able to help here is a link Ohio Homestead Gardens & Apiaries

All good advice, It does sound like the warm weather brought on brood rearing, and when the cold spell hit the bees were reluctant to leave the brood and re-cluster, they will protect their brood at all cost. You will have to watch out for these March and early April roller coaster rides next year and be better prepared. The low watt heater and insulation mentioned above would most likely have prevented their deaths. I wrapped with insulation and slipped a heating pad into my hive on top of the bottom board where the heat rises up to the bees from the bottom, it has worked quite well. Sorry for your loss, hope you can find replacements.