Honey B Healthy Recipe - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Honey B Healthy Recipe

I'll ad my 2 cents to this old thread.
    I never use essential oils as a treatment or medication. I only use it as a lure or attractant for my sugar blocks, protein patties or swarm traps. Never in syrup. So the fact any oils won't blend into liquid without separating is no matter for me.

If they won't take up syrup, there is something up. Ether they have natural feed sources that are better or they have a hive issue. Queenless, no brood, heavy mite or disease load, etc.

Sometimes about this time of year I have a few smaller colonies that are slow to grow and are reluctant to take up syrup. But you have to figure out what their issue is. Sometimes it is just that they don't have enough bees to generate enough heat to get the brood nest started. Sometimes it just a lack of enthusiasm. They eventually grab a gear when natural feed sources kick in. I've found no amount of lure or attractant additive will help that, although I do lightly sprinkle the top of the frames with light syrup on occasion to try to inspire them to take up supplemental feed.

I use Mann Lake's pro health on occasion, and if I wanted to stretch it, I would just add a pint of Pro health or Honey Bee healthy to the recipe shown in the op. I bet it would blend up nicely and stretch your dollar.

I'm careful with essential oils. Just touch a tiny drop to you lips and you'll know why. A little goes a long way.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

two questions. one: what sort of oils are you using? I bought Living good. or living correct. or living well. something like that. supposed to be very good. and it is super-concentrated. 15 drops of that stuff would drive you out fo the kitchen. I'm curious if the type of essential oils are making any difference. two: I have three hives. I notice that one hive cannot get enough of the mixture using sugarwater and lemongrass oil, thyme, and spearmint. but the other two hives wont touch it. I use entrance feeders. the morning after filling them up the one hive entrance feeder will be bone dry but the other two will be practically full. Just curious if anyone has seen this. For what its worth, the hive that likes the mixture is very very healthy and active. Just for what its worth. I'm not trying to convince anyone that its the way to go. just my observation.

Can I use this from CVS Nowfoods Lecithin Nervous System Support Vegetarian Granules, 16 OZ

where do you get the thyme oil? would be very curios about your recipe!!! You interested in sharing?

I got the thyme oil from Amazon. The brand is "Plant Therapy". About $10. I have used the recipe on page 1 of this thread with a few drops of Thyme oil included sometimes. I don't use the HBH recipe in syrup either but will dilute it and put it on the screen of a queen cage to improve acceptance. I am not positive it really helps but the acceptance rate history is excellent. Since it seems to be working, I am hesitant to stop doing it this way.

Thank you!!!!

Can anyone provide a link to a reasonably well done study that shows adding essential oils to sugar syrup is good for the bees' health?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234