what kind of queen do i have?

Default what kind of queen do i have?

i have a hive that is a very strong hive, but the bees are the meanest bees ever. what type of queen lays crazy bees like that? i know there not africanized bees because the queen would have swarmed by now, since they swarm about 16 times a year, and shes been marked for months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: what kind of queen do i have?

Really hard to say.

You could post some pictures however color differs and can be misleading.

The traits you describe seem to be a little negative but could describe every type of honey bee there is. All hives are destinct and act in thier ways.

As for AHB they swarm when there is no food source. If they have food source they may not swarm. As long as there is nectar and pollen coming in and they have a nice place to live they may stay there depending on colony size and room availalbe.

AHB's swarm 16 times a year? That's not right.
    I think a lot of times we tend to forget that Africanized describes a mixed breed and not a breed itself. For instance I have Italian Queen bees who have failed , been raised again , re bred and so many Drones that bred with the new queen have had African Bee Genes. So they may show a certain level of aggressiveness based on this. Some may be over the top Some may be less. They may run off the brood , they may not. In my region , on my budget , we've learned to deal with 'Africanized' bees. In my experiences I've never had them swarm 16 times a year , or when there is no nectar source. That information is false and thats backed by someone who had had first hand experiences dealing with this breed.

A "mean" queen. I would replace her.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Yes, as MB indicated, does it really matter? Seems like regardless of what you've got you need them gone. Of course you can contact your state apiary inspector and they might help, but bottom line is that you need to requeen (sooner than later). BTW, the lack of swarming is NOT definitive proof of any particular genetic stock that I am aware of.

Requeen and solve the problem. More often than not the bees will settle down and be more comfortable to work. Better yet get three new queens and divided that hive into three nucs and supply each with a new queen. You will find that the turn around will be much quicker and definately more comfortable to work.

well i made some queens this year and made four nucs from it already and is still very strong. it is a double deep with two supers. she has an exelent brood patern. i ordered two queens from russel apiaries that are coming in in april. they are sunkist queens apparently very gentle queens.

Requeening a big aggressive hive can be a challenge. Read up on MB's website before faced with the task.

I had a colony last year at a friends house and they got meaner than all get out!
    They would chase you back to the truck and then you had to walk around for about 1 hr. with a cluster of them on your back and on my hood trying to sting the crap out me. They liked my friend even more than me, which I got a chuckle out of. It didn't make a difference if you used smoke or not they were just mean, but the queen was laying lots of eggs and the colony was building up fast and producing lots of honey.
    I have Italian bees and some of them are a golden yellow color and other colonies/queens are a dark color. The yellow ones are a lot friendly bee than the darker ones, but the darker colored colonies build up faster, producer a lot of honey and seem to winter better, but are little on the zappy/grumpy side.
    The colony even went back for 2 weeks chasing my friend and his wife into there house after I moved the colony to my winter yard, which was only about 1/2 mile away.
    I separated the colony by placing a few frames of bees into each one of my weak nucs to strengthen them for winter.
    The queen is currently mounted on a piece of wood and preserved as a Christmas gift for my friend, who still claims that she is africanized!

that describes my exact situation. what's funny is that i just mounted a queen myself. she had a terrible brood pattern and needed to go. i need to post a pic of it on here.

Mounting Queens??? You guys are killing me! lol. Hey BoTBees, send me that queen and I will exchange her for an extra queen in your order... I will find out what she is and let you know... if she doesnt swarm that is... you can just keep her in your hive and when I send your order to you, I will add an extra queen and an empty cage... Maybe I can talk my mother-in-law in letting me give her a nuc (with your "mad momma" at the head of it)...

This is funny. Yesterday my fellow beek and myself decided to isolate the queen in my hive that is described in the opening post. Wife and dogs will not even go within 100 feet of it. I am going to pick up queen cells on Saturday from a commercial beek close to us and is very helpful. So after going through 2 deeps, 18 frames, we finally found her on the side of the box on the bottom hive. I had read Michael Bush's article on re-queening a hot hive. It went by the book as to what he said will happen. They ran us off twice. I got stung many times and even took a benedryl and had chills last night. ( All is well now). Anyway the queen of mean is in the hive for a few more hours in a queen catcher until about 4pm today. I was wondering what to do with the heathern breeder, Now I know, stick a pin in her and hang her on the wall as a reminder as to what can happen when genetics go wrong. We lives, we learns and then we dies.

Hello i was given a hive of bees that came from B.Weaver and they are as mean as they come smoke calms them from a couple of minutes and then back at me again. This queen is a laying champ she has filled up a brood chamber full of brood where my other hives are still trying to get where this queen is. I pulled seven frames of nothing but capped brood and eggs. My thing is i want to calm this hive down with a new queen but i can not find one does any one know where i can get a queen this hive is so strong and have lots of capped drone brood but i do not want her drones to mate with my young queens when i start rearing them because they may pass on this trait if anyone has a couple of queens they don not want please pm me and the price.

thomas yancey

Thomas, have you tried the "queen exchange" forum on our site? That may help you out some.