SHB trap - new thing on the market (australia) - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: SHB trap - new thing on the market (australia)

I have been using beneficial nematodes (H. Indica) and have seen a total of less than 15 hive beetles all season in six hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Ok, Russell....what climbing ability does the shb larvae have once off of the comb?
    A very proficient one sorry to say... the larvae emerge from the hive to the around at any time, day or night... they do so on a path of slime which cools surfaces and gives them grip... they will climb straight out of a 55 gallon drum even...

I am all for people putting down shingles, pea gravel, black plastic, limestone, pine bark, etc... the most cost efficient method of controlling the spread for apiaries with larger numbers of hives is to use permethrin 38% as a ground drench around hive AS they are being slimed... to be effective, this requires one to stay on top of the issues so that they know when a hive has been slimed... permethrin has been approved as a ground drench around bee hives in doses up to 40% and is commonly sold to bee keepers under the brand name Guardstar which is rediculously high in price since it is marketed solely to this industry... however, permethrin is readily available in many lower doses for about 1/3rd the cost... the 38% is just as effective and can be found at nearly any farm/feed store... apply at night on windless days... cover the ground well in a four to ten foot circumference around the target hives... this method will kill any larvae that make it to the soil for up to 30 days, but of course rain can dilute the formula and you should clean up slimed hives as soon as possible because they will draw in more shb from miles away.

I saw a note the other day that reported that the apithor units were being chewed out and could cause contamination within the hive with all this chewed out litter.

Any confirmed reports of this from any of the clubs or bee keepers?

Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia

Robbo,

I recently noticed that the finish on some of the traps is not very good. I have had one where a corner had come away which could have allowed access to a very persistent bee. I also saw another one where one of the glued welds was imperfect which may have allowed limited access by bees.

Have not seen baits chewed out by beetles if that's what you mean.

Otherwise since I started using them I have sighted only one or two beetles in my hives. There are plenty of them flying in at dusk.

Yanta

I have not tried this but will next year. Will add some pollen sub and melon to the mix.
    Going to use empty water bottles, have tons of those and can dispose of them when done.

Trap outside the hive, looks easy to monitor and change. if it even catches a few, than that’s a few less the bees have to mess with.

You could even put it in the top cover to trap them inside the hive

BTW no poisons

http://www.beeworks.com/informationc...ve_beetle.html

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    A very proficient one sorry to say... the larvae emerge from the hive to the around at any time, day or night... they do so on a path of slime which cools surfaces and gives them grip... they will climb straight out of a 55 gallon drum even...

I am all for people putting down shingles, pea gravel, black plastic, limestone, pine bark, etc... the most cost efficient method of controlling the spread for apiaries with larger numbers of hives is to use permethrin 38% as a ground drench around hive AS they are being slimed... to be effective, this requires one to stay on top of the issues so that they know when a hive has been slimed... permethrin has been approved as a ground drench around bee hives in doses up to 40% and is commonly sold to bee keepers under the brand name Guardstar which is rediculously high in price since it is marketed solely to this industry... however, permethrin is readily available in many lower doses for about 1/3rd the cost... the 38% is just as effective and can be found at nearly any farm/feed store... apply at night on windless days... cover the ground well in a four to ten foot circumference around the target hives... this method will kill any larvae that make it to the soil for up to 30 days, but of course rain can dilute the formula and you should clean up slimed hives as soon as possible because they will draw in more shb from miles away.
    I had some correspondence with Dr Jamie Ellis at University of Florida on this topic. I am sure that he would not mind if I quoted what he said...

SHB larvae can crawl quite a distance. In fact, I suspect they can crawl more than 20-30 meters in an evening (though, I donít believe that anyone has measured this). I know that they have escaped my lab where we rear them, crawl out of the lab, and down the hall. Iíve seen them go at least 20 meters in an evening.
    As to making some sort of plinth or barrier between the hive and soil he is quite adamant...

i... t likely is not worth attempting to put something under colonies to stop them (ie. SHB Larva) because one would have to cover a relatively large area.
    This leaves chemically treating the areas around hives I suppose. However would there not be at least local environmental issues with this?

The Gardstar ground treatment is an approved chemical treatment. My only problem with it is that by the time the larva reach the treated area, the hive they came from is history. If you think that Australian video was bad wait until you go into a beeyard with 36 hives, find buckets full of larva crawling out the entrance, fermented honey running out, slime by the gallon and not a live bee anywhere. Happened to me many times over when the SHB first invaded in the 90's. Out of business! Lost 150 hives in a matter of a couple months, my brother lost several hundred. I started using the Fipronil traps 3 years ago when my son and I started back into the business again, haven't lost a hive to SHB since then. However, we have had them invade the honeyhouse; you cannot leave cappings or honey sitting around for even 2 days or they will be crawling with larva. My advice is to listen to Bob Russell and others who have been there, done that. I'll take Varroa any day over SHB.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    you cannot leave cappings or honey sitting around for even 2 days or they will be crawling with larva. My advice is to listen to Bob Russell and others who have been there, done that. I'll take Varroa any day over SHB.
    Sounds like an opportunity to trap them inside your honey house

Take a frame of honey put it inside a bucket or box put screen on top 1/2 way down the bucket, put fly paper on screen, then put 1/8 hardware cloth on the top of the bucket to keep bees out. if you have a frame that is slimed even better.

And why would I want to do that? I could trap millions of larva and it doesn't affect the population of SHB in the hives one iota. We clean up the honey house after each use and melt cappings right away; solves the problem without messing with maggots.

Maybe outside your honey house would work better and around your bee yard, there would not be maggots just beetles stuck on fly paper while attempting to get at the smell of the honey/or bait of your choice.

You have to fight them one way or another, if it is possible to eliminate some of them before they enter the hive it can only help right.

http://www.beeworks.com/informationc...ve_beetle.html
    This was taken from the above link "UPDATE Finally, at long last someone has tested the theory of attracting SHB to an external trap, which I suggest some years ago, and the answer quite simpley is 'It works'. A number of beetles were found in test Wax Moth traps, the manufacture of which is discussed elsewhere on this site.
    This really is fantastic news when considered carefully and opens up a whole new method of control. It means in effect that a number of traps can be placed around the yard attracting beetles from within the yard, but equally attracting and trapping them from outside as they approach the yard.
    Needless to say this will effectively reduce the volume of SHB around the hives and combined with other treatments could reduce the overall impact on honey production from those hives infected with this pest."
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 12-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I have had hives in Kentucky for several years and have noticed the SHB gain a stronger foothold every year. While I have a lot of my hives on crushed limestone and I have spread agricultural hydrated lime around the hives to help kill larvae leaving the hives. While this helps, it is not enough to control them completley. I believe the SHB has to be attacked on all fronts possible. I am experimenting with a trap of my design to catch the adult beetles before they enter the hives. My concern with this is it turning out to be like Japanese beetle trap, drawing even more beetles to the proximity of your hives. Setting these up at some distance may help. Early results look good but I have a way to go. I have seen small roach traps moving across solid bottom boards because of the numbers of beetles crawling under them in the deep south. One thing I have been experimenting with is salt. It has been my observation that bees to some degree seek salt. I have seen them drinking from brackish water (along with butterflys) and we all know they are attracted to swimming pools. I live on a small lake and have a pool and I get a lot of bees visiting my pool. I believe it's because of the salt content. And who hasn't seen bees licking sweat from our bodies in the yards. The co op sells a salt that is used to mix with animal feed that is really cheap. While using solid bottom boards in our commercial operation I have had the extreme displeasure of dealing with slimed hives. It is quite the horror show. When we are trying to save hives we will transfer frames to clean boxes and bottom boards and salt the new along with the old after having scraped them as clean as possible. IMO this has had no adverse effects on the bees at all. It is our reasoning that a larvae leaving the hive to pupate in the ground will be dessicated by crawling through the salt. Just throw some into a bucket of salt and see what happens. This spring I will be mixing salt water in 25 gallon sprayers and treating all the ground in our yards. I believe this will help to control the weeds and any pupating larvae of the SHB. We are also working on a product for screened bottom boards that involves salt. Remember, this is only my observation in a short time of using it but I like what I am seeing so far.

The salt experiment sounds interesting. One thing that I'm curious about in regards to using salt as a ground treatment/drench is whether it would be an attractant for whitetail deer. We have herds of them around here. Definitely could be a useful vegetation suppressor and if a side benefit is beetle grub suppression that would be great. Might salt work in the pans of traps rather than oil, or would the beetles walk out of it too easily?

Ed

I would imagine you would attract Deer and Cattle with the salted ground. Definitley something to think about if you dont have hot wires or where Deer could be a problem with other desirable plantings. However, during hunting season....

I don't know if they would do it or not, but my concern would be deer possibly toppling over some hives. ??

Ed

For deer you could just place a salt block away from the hives. Hive should be fenced from cattle regardless if there is salt or not.

I think you would need allot of salt to make the ground deadly to the larva and would need to be replenished often depending on rain.

Bsupplier How are your traps designed? What do you use for bait? Might try slimed/fermented honey (freeze it to kill any eggs)

No cattle grazing so no fence. I'll probably just pass on the salt and figure the deer will naturally avoid the bees. Keep us informed of the experiment, Bsupplier.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234