SHB trap - new thing on the market (australia)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SHB trap - new thing on the market (australia)

Hey fella's,

This got a run in the local magazine the other day.

http://www.apithor.com.au/

Anyone had a go with them yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SHB trap - new thing on the market (australia)

Not with that brand but here in the S.E. U.S. we have available a trap called a Beetle Barn which is baited with the same ingredient, Fipronil. Not approved for use in hives here; your government must be more intelligent than the U.S. Dept of Agriculture.

Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia

Robbo did you get the Honey Bee News in the mail recently. There is some info on pages 26/27. Should be available now according to the article.

Thanks for the link.

There was a story on the ABC Science Show yesterday about SHB which may interest you

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...11/3161667.htm

Robbo,

We have started offering our shb attractant on our site. It comes in syringe type tubes with long thin tips so you can bait traps without pulling or opening the trap. Works really well and we are going to be setting up a few distributors in your country as well as nz soon.
    Last edited by rrussell6870; 03-13-2011 at 01:57 AM.

I have been an organic farmer all my life. I'm also realist and after loosing again 6 strong and productive hives in the last few months, I'm about ready to try most things. I change my AJ traps every 2 to 3 weeks and I still loose hives. The SHB is a real challenge here. " Apithor" has only been released a few weeks ago and it is to early to get consumer feedback. At $ 5.00 it is not cheap but if it saves my hives ( and I don't have to clean-up the mess) it is worth every dollar.
    I have listened to the Science Show and have been aware of the research for some time. I have contacted the researcher again to see where things are.
    Please, anybody using " Apithor" let us know how you are going.
    thanks
    max2

That wasn't intended as a sales pitch Barry...

Max2,

Have been to busy to check into the ingredients... can you post what is in it, we may have already ran some tests on the same or a similar compound...

Thanks.

" Fibronil" is the active ingredient. The clever part ( I think) is how it is "packaged" so that SHB can get to it but Bees can't.
    http://www.apithor.com.au/images/pdf/ApithorLabel.pdf

well, I can tell you that it will certainly kill the beetles... its humorous to me because its actually about twice the strength of the dose that I had recommended before on this forum. Lol. The kill will be very effective, but of course I can't tell you if the bait will be effective or if the trap will be inviting enough... I will pm you to give you a few more tips... I believe we had discussed this last year didn't we? Lol.

When I read the study that was done a few years ago when this trap or one similar to it was being developed, I found it interesting that Australia considered Fipronil less contaminating than cumophos.

so with the strength or dosage of chemicals in this device, whats the impact on the honey?

What is deemed chemical free, or organic in parts per million etc?

Im not an organic seller, but I dont want to be selling chemical laced honey - or are the traces of it so small it does not matter?

If the trap does not allow beetles to exit, there is no contamination, as the carrier is not a powder or liquid, but rather a paste that cannot be blown or spilled out of the trap... in studies using traps that did allow the beetles to exit, there were two main factors that were promising for hive use...

1... the beetles are naturally driven to gorge themselves once finding a food source where they are safe to do so (away from chasing bees)... this is part of their preparation for mating... so once the beetles entered the traps and found the bait, they would continue to feed on it long enough for the poison to take effect... an extremely low number of beetles actually left the traps, and the ones that did died very soon afterwards.

2... the beetles do not burrow into their food and the paste carrier is less likely to be rubbed off onto the beetles... after testing beetles for traces after feeding on the bait, the trace levels were extremely low and in most cases were undetectable using ppb measurements... fipronil traces were actually higher in testing wax from colonies that were working crops than in colonies that had been used for the shb studies.

Of course, in these studies, the dosage of fipronil was .22%... much lower than that of the product in question...

Rob, if you read the test report on the manufacturers website you will find that the level of Fibronoil was " not dedectable". I have written to one of Australias most trusted bee researchers to get his opinion.

I have heard back from the researcher and he says: "The residue work was conducted late last year and the results where excellent as far as residues are concerned.
    The devices seem to be highly effective in killing SHB.
    We expect to start another project next week to run over 6 weeks to measure the efficiency of this product.
    At this stage I think this could be the best option available to control SHB. "

Finally something thats not oil filled.lol Very similar to what we use already, but I can reuse mine. I will buy a couple to test out if they will ship to me. Family from Australia is here this weekend. Gonna show off the hives. State Inspector said my hives are perfect. No beetles, mites, viruses, and/or foul brood. Just bees in a box. Likes my traps too.lol

Acute Toxicity of Imidacloprid to Bees

Compared to other commonly used pesticides, imidacloprid is one of the most toxic insecticides to bees. On an acute basis, the lethal dose to kill 50% of the population of adult honeybees (LD50) equals 0.078 micrograms active ingredient/bee (ug a.i./bee) for contact toxicity and 0.0038 ug a.i./bee for oral ingestion. Other insecticides that are as toxic or more toxic than imidacloprid include spinosad, emamectin benzoate, clothianidin, fipronil, thiamethoxam, and dinotefuran.[11] This is a quote from wiki

Whats all that mean? Anyone mind braeking down the above to laymans for us? Tah

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    When I read the study that was done a few years ago when this trap or one similar to it was being developed, I found it interesting that Australia considered Fipronil less contaminating than cumophos.
    I would guess that Australia doesn't have as many well funded lobbyist. Or maybe like here which ever company that has the best/most lobbyist, or maybe the same company that makes more profit from one product than the other. Isn't that how it works here? I think so!!
    So much to learn, so little time!!

basically fipronil can be poisonous for bees

John Pluta of georgiabees.blogspot.com has the same system and has a number of videos on the subject. But at the end of the day it is just a cd cover modified with a small enterance so the SHB can get in but not your bees, and an ant poision.

I tried some Apithor traps ( they are different from CD cases) and kept going with the AJ traps which I change and clean about every 10 to 14 days. On Sunday when I changed the traps I did notice considerably fewer SHB ( it is of course also getting cooler here) - indeed in one hive I could not find a single SHB. So far positive on Apithor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast