Virgin Queens

Thread: Virgin Queens

Default Virgin Queens

How long can a new queen go before mating and not degrade the queen..Thanks Rube

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Virgin Queens

There can be a variation between breeds and within breeds, but as a rule of thumb, if a queen is not mated and laying 40 days from when the egg was laid she is probably toast. Some commercial beekeepers would use a lower number than that, maybe 35 max, depending on their management and just what they are doing.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

According to Huber,

21 days and she will lay nothing but drones. This appears to be true during the active part of the year, but I think longer when things are less active. I've heard of virgins wintering and mating in the spring.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I've heard of virgins wintering and mating in the spring.
    As an experiment I've tried that, raising queens at various points through the winter. - No joy, normal rules applied, to me, anyway.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Are you open mating them? I'm sending some to U.C. Davis for artificial insemination, as I already have drones. I have a few really good queens for starter stock and am grafting them soon. I plan on sending them off on the second day after emergence, meaning they should me "mated" in about 5 days. I don't have enough stock to be extremely selective yet, but one colony of Sespe substrain is exceptional and several others are dark Mexican substrain - very strong increasers and produce lots of honey, if a little aggressive. I hope to get some of Velbert's queens and breed them into my lines.

I wouldn't store them long - mate them and nuc them! They "store" better as nuc colonies than as unmated queens. They sell better, too according to most of those who are doing so.