Northern splits.

Default Northern splits.

We opened the girls the other day. 2 are covering 6 or 7 frames and haven't started on the candy(10# block with pollen sub) yet still 7 or 8 frames honey gave both 2# pollen patty in middle of custer. And then there is the ball buster, she is covering 12 to 13 frames has a deep and a half of honey and they are nibbling on the candy, gave her 4# pollen patty. Thinking maple should start blooming in less than 3 weeks locust shouldn't be far behind.
    How long you think till they eat up the patties,plan to keep putting on patties as used and feed? I am thinking week to a week an half.
    Trying to make some locust honey if there is a flow this year then make some splits useing triple deep brood chambers, nucs will be 1 open brood 1 capped brood 1 frame honey and 2 empty comb in 5 frame nuc box, will feed patties and candy or syrup or both.Plan to graft a single run of cells off the big girl as soon as drones and weather permit(mid April?) for nucs as she has the traits I am looking for.She was a 5 frame nuc last year that drew 30 frames plastic foundation and still made 120# golden rod that we took off and started laying in early(I just wish she was Cordovan colored).
    What are the thoughts of this? This is the first year for spliting bees that are over wintered up north though I have many years with bees. I know timing is going to be the key.Oh and for those that want to know We treat with formic once or twice a year as needed but are not using anything else. We do have shb but have never lost any to slime think it is cause we run big populations of bees and feed freely when not making honey.

Thanks for any input.
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Northern splits.

Sounds like a plan!

A question about feeding, as we don't do it much here and we never feed pollen, or at least, I've never seen it done. I'm asking you Beetrucker because sounds like you're doing well & have the knowledge to give me a good answer.

From reading Beesource, feeding of both some kind of honey substitute (fondant or whatever), plus pollen patties, is almost standard procedure. I've thought this must be perhaps, because of the pattern of your flows, and dearths, and also because feeding of drugs to treat nosema is widely done also so would be worked in with other feeding.

But when the hives are like yours, already with what I would have thought more than enough stores, why feed?
    In my country it would be the opposite. We would be trying to get the bees to get rid of as much as possible of that old honey, before the new flow started.

Just a mystery about another countries methods, that I've always wondered about, and would like cleared up!
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Re: Northern splits.

Sorry I have been gone so much lately, been shaking bees.

Most of the feeding here is done to stimulate brood rearing. Like you, in my operation, we want them to use up stores just before the flows so that they will be bringing in fresh nectar to stimulate the colonies growth and keep nutrition at the optimum levels... Instead of feeding syrup we just take there stores off (we keep a medium or shallow on top of every hive for winter stores)... we take the supers off, stand them up in the yard and put empties back on with a few frames of foundation in each empty (the rest are drawn comb that has been stored). The bees rob out the old supers taking in better nutrition than sugar and the queens see the flow and start laying like crazy... because of our location, we don't have to worry about pollen, because the maple and locust bloom well before our season kicks off... the foundation and the supers standing up in the yard help us to gauge when the real flows kick off, because they will bypass the honey supers to take fresh nectar and they won't really touch the foundation in the outside of the new supers until the flow starts.

Hope this helps!

My thinking on feeding the candy is that I want to have plenty of honey to put into nucs and I want large clusters in the winter. That way they will move the cluster in colder weather than a small one but need more stores we, run triple deep brood with the third and part of the second filled with stores for winter.I say one frame honey in the nucs but want 2 if I can, one on each side it can get cold at night in this area at the time I want this batch and the honey will insulate and hold extra heat over night. And I like to feed pollen sub in patty form that way I can stick it right in the middle of things kinda makes them use it but that only works if population is big so the shb do not go to town on it. It is the only way I can think of to make Locust honey since it is very early flow if there is one(1 out of 4 years).At this point not real after much to sell but I want to grow to 300 to colonies over the next 2 to 3 years with buying some nucs and making as many as I can. Got equipment for about 125 right now and if locust hits will be able to fill more of it this year.Looking at 10 early nucs from my bees and graft, ordered 15 nucs from local pollenation operation and I ordered 10 Sunkist Cordoan Queen(pretty bees) form Russul's to put into some later nucs.I geuss the feed takes some of the guess work out of what you have to work with when it comes time to make it all happen. Hope that answered your questions and makes sence.I can ramble a bit but what beekeepers don't.

Jason

P.S.
    Don't mind the spelling I suck at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetrucker74 View Post
    Trying to make some locust honey if there is a flow this year then make some splits useing triple deep brood chambers,
    Locus is a tough flow to make surplus on. Being early, there's room around the broodnest...especially if you're running triple deeps, and the locust winds up there. You might have to crowd them some to get the locust in your supers.