cloake board

Thread: cloake board

Default cloake board

This is a stupid question but just curious where can i get the best cloake board for rearing queens?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: cloake board

Somewhat off topic, but you don't really need one.

You can make one pretty cheap and easy. Just take a queen excluder and add a wooden shim to three sides, leaving one of the narrow ends with no shim. You can then make the slide-out drawer out of luan plywood.

To answer the original question, I think all the beekeeping catalogs have Cloake Board systems for sale. I bought my first one from Brushy Mountain. Yes, they are easy to make if you have or buy a queen excluder. I think it makes queen rearing far less disruptive than assembling/recombining separate cell builder and finisher colonies.

Another tip that's handy is to have front and rear entrances on your bottom board. Then, using an entrance block, you can just remove it from the rear entrance and block the front when needed, rather than lifting and rotating the entire box.

Hope this helps.

Mine came from Brushy Mnt. Its only problem is excess space between excluder and bottom of frames in top box. You end up with lots of burr comb.
    I plan to build a cpl this year before I start queen rearing.

And steve is right about bottom board with front and back entrance. That is a back saver.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain