Government Grants - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Government Grants

i believe the topic is government grants. i never directly said that you were taking a handout. i also do pay plenty of taxes to the government being a small business owner, homeowner etc. a tax break is not a grant or handout what so ever. you cant compare the two. i just get sick of people talking like money is free so go ask for it. someone has to pay for it. looks to me like they took a $45,000.00 in total handouts. the biggest problem with stuff like this is our kids are the ones who are going to be suffering from all this.

ps. my bees are sustainable without the help of the government grant. now that's sustainability
    Last edited by kwest; 01-27-2011 at 10:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

my problem with some of the sare grants, is from what I can see, people get the money, may do the research, but I can't find where they post the results. I was interested in the result of one grant from many years ago, found no way to get the results??
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    my problem with some of the sare grants, is from what I can see, people get the money, may do the research, but I can't find where they post the results. I was interested in the result of one grant from many years ago, found no way to get the results??
    You are correct, not everyone does the final report and that is dissapointing. In fact for most SARE projects a percentage of funds are witheld until you produce the final report. There are many report however on the SARE site. Once you search the SARE database, pull up the projects, click on the projects, see the upper left and there are usually links for the project overview, interim reports, and final reports.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by kwest View Post
    i just love paying higher taxes to fund your little bee projects.
    Sorry that we are unable to have a discussion on the wonderful work of SARE or other speciality crop grants that help honeybees and beekeepers on this forum without folks attacking the whole concept of grants and "our little bee projects". You are entitled to your opinions, but I do think attacks on the government belong in the tailgator section.

I think part of the problem is that many folks view their own beekeeping individually. That is perfectly fine way to approach what you are doing, but perhaps you could consider where other folks are coming from. Most of us who pursue grants are working as part of a larger group and/or community effort, ultimately providing new knowledge, education, and./or skills that will further beekeeping. Education and developing skills among beekeepers is a major part of our focus with these grants.

As an FYI, here is an example of some folks who received a "little bee projects" funded by SARE. Think that you have ever used any of the knowledge produced from a grant like this?

Marla Spivak, et. al. Reducing Pesticide Use in Honey Bee Colonies through Sound Sampling and Treatment Procedures and A Sustainable Approach to Controlling Varroa Mites of Honey Bees
    karla

Promoting Sustainable Beekeeping Practices through local production of nucs (nucleus colonies) and local queen honeybees ,A Comparison of Honey Bee Colony Strength and Survivability between Nucleus and Package Started Colonies. I personally have read about this being done. it is not a new concept or a new idea. i personally have done or am doing this myself on my own $. maybee not on a large scale but i still am trying new things all the time. i also dont treat my bees with absolutly anything. the only thing that has gone in my hives is sugar. I understand that research is needed. I just dont agree with doing it with "OUR DOLLARS". you say that this doesn't belong here but as i said before it is titled "government grants" and the other side sure has been stated
    {I wouldn't be sorry. If they are giving out cash for beekeepers, mine as well stand in line. If you don't get it, someone else will. It's already allocated. No reason to get upset about it. If you don't like it, talk to your representative, don't get pissed at the people taking advantage of it.

Just my 2 cents.}SPECIALK

I've already gone through once and deleted a bunch of posts for being off topic. Looks like I'll have to do it again. Folks, the original post asked for input from those who have used grants, not who is opposed to the idea. Not everything "you" disagree with has to be made public. Give Rob a break and let those who can give him the input he's looking for answer without all the put downs.
    Regards, Barry

Without getting into the 'tailgater' discussion, I think if you look at the link I posted you would have to admit there is something of interest to everyone.

But maybe its getting OT and a discussion of the merits of these projects should be another thread.

Loggemike. Please start a topic. I believe that it would be of value to objectively discuss some of the studies that you pointed to in your previous post. I also agree with Barry that we shouldn't hijack the original intent of this thread.

Oh yeah, not a tailgater topic either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
    They are big enough to take everything you have now. Its only a matter of time.....
    A Tailgater sort of response? Take it to Tailgater and join in on or start a discussion. This seems to be a comment on the Federal Government, not about SARE Grants.
    Mark Berninghausen

Let me explain the origin of the money from the cost share program in Ky.
    Back several years ago the states got together and sued the tobacco companies for extra costs related to health care costs. Several of the states put that money directly into their general funds. Kentucky and a few other tobacco growing states put a portion of that settlement into a fund for diversification programs to help the tobacco farmers as well as other farmers become reliant on more than just one crop. These programs include funds to renovate tobacco structures into hay facilities, cattle genetic improvement, handling facilities, nurserys etc. This has turned out very beneficial for the communities since several millons in tobacco production have been cut in almost all 120 counties. It's actually been one of the states positive moves in recent years.

Qualification for these funds is local based upon availability and a state checklist giving points based upon several criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
    Does anyone take advantage of government grants for beekeepers here in the US? I saw in a catalog that there are grants available to offset the cost of beekeeping in my state, but I have not spoken to anyone who has actually taken advantage of these programs. I just didnt know if they were worth the trouble. I just wondered if anyone takes advantage of such things

Rob
    I'm currently looking to apply for one could you tell me where you've seem this info?

Good evening,

I know this thread is from a few years ago but I am hoping this thread is still active. I am Ann looking to start bee keeping and was looking for grants in Arizona or federal grants. Right now the hardest part is being able to pay for the land to get started as I am looking to get land out in rural areas so there will be plenty of room to grow and decrease the risk of the population moving near by. Did anyone know if there are grants available that can assist with this and can point me in the right direction? I really appreciate it!

Steven Belvel

Don't buy land, just ask around, post on Craigslist etc that you are looking for a bee yard. Someone will let you put bees on their property

Unfortunately that is not an option. Since I live in Arizona people are not "bee" friendly. Also I plan to have a large bee keeping location with a lot of bees. I would rather have land in a rural area away from other people to decrease any risk of potential problems.

Champaign, Illinois has very little regulations on honeybees other than one rule. "No Commercial Beekeeping".
    Asked the mayor and city council to define commercial beekeeping and they referred me to the city attorney which to be honest...scared the beejesus out of me.

Suspect strongly that the instant that I applied for a grant, and yes I could...they are available, that I'd be singled out and run off for being commercial. Lawyer talk scares me because they can simply re-define one word, "commercial", and ruin me.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

For me attorneys are not hard to talk to. I have several friends that are attorneys and it's all about how you treat the city's attorney that they will be a little more willing to work with you. Also in Arizona I do not believe we have that problem. So I'm looking for grants to help build a bee keeping location that as I stated previously is in open land that is not near anyone so I don't have the other problems of the bees stinging people or causing problems with neighbors. So the rural land is key and grants would help with the down payment, equipment and materials needed to start a bee keeping location that will help with the honey bee population. Can anyone point me in the right direction for potential federal grants and or state grants?

Sbelvel - I have to ask, do you have any bee keeping experience?

Have not seen any federal grants that allow for purchasing land for the start up of agriculture enterprises.

There are programs that I know that help with the purchase of land for wildlife or restoration purposes, but still require the cooperator to provide dollars to the deal even after reimbursement.

With a good business plan, a bank loan would work. But that is why I was asking about experience before saying that.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

Thank you Wayne. My friend and I are looking into becoming bee keepers and helping the bee population. We have started to get everything in order to grow but are looking to find some grants that can help us get started so we are not exhausting all of our full time job income to start the project. I have built a nonprofit before and applied for grants but I have not found a lot of grants that help bee keepers. Are there specific websites that can help us get started?

marshmasterpat I have very limited experience as of right now. I have been told by some people in the forum to look for someone that will allow us to have the hives on their land which might be a great start. The issue with business loans is that they typically want to see a business be a "business" wether making money or not for at least a year before you can obtain a loan from my understanding. If this is incorrect please let me know. I have read a few grants that do help with the start up that include land as well but more looking for it to help with the down payment which ranges between $4K-$10K depending on the land and a regular land loan for the remainder. Since it is only land these loans require 30-50% down to obtain a loan. Looking for some advice and guidance to help get us off the ground. Everything is appreciated!

Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast