Pollen Patty Feeding Question

Default Pollen Patty Feeding Question

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on using zip lock bags to feed pollen patties. Last year I used wax paper, however this was very messy and wasteful. I kept the patties in the freezer but the weight seemed to pancake the lower ones. Also the patties became very running on warmer days as I installed them. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using ziplock bags. My thought was to cut slits on both side to allow the bees access the patty. Or even cut one side off the bag leaving just the bottom to support the patty on the top of the frames. Anybody have any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pollen Patty Feeding Question

I'm no expert, but I leave the paper that comes with the patties on them and cut strips 1.5 inch or so and lay them across the top bars being careful not to feed too much at a time because of SHBs. Good Luck.

I have used the pre-made patties before and they are pretty easy to use as I just pop one in for a strong hive or cut one in half for a weaker hive. Last year I bought dry mix and attempted to make my own as it is alot cheaper. They worked great with the exception I listed above. Sorry, I guess I should have clearified that my question was regarding homemade patties.

If you are dealing with homemade patties, you shouldn't have to store them in the freezer. If you only need 3 lbs of it, just make 3 lbs of it. Don't bother making 5 and storing 2. The fresher you make it, the better it is for the bees.

Other than that, if it is too sticky, or too runny when it gets warmer, adjust your mixture. Add less water/sugar water/HFCS.

Ron, I made my patties yesterday. I found out after I put them on wax paper that they were a little runny. This morning, they have set up some, but I was thinking about doing exactly what you mentioned. I am going to try the sandwich baggies leaving them on the wax paper and cutting open a way for the bees to get to it. The directions also say to get them interested to feed some 1:1 sugar water. Anyone tried feeding as liguid. I use quail waterers and they would work very well for liquid feeding.

Last season I put 1/2 store bought patty in a quart feeder jar of 1-1 and the bees had it gone in no time, this year I will be putting 1 patty in each top feeder as needed, actually not a patty just the bee pro powder till it is still liquid but heavy...cant hurt
    Honeydew

I am a new beek and I have two hives in the back yard. I am using Brushy Mnt. Premium Pollen Patties. I cut the sheet in half and put it on top of the brood frames. I put a half a Pattie a week in each hive. I am checking for SHB's and have not found any (Knock on wood). The patties are not bad for me but I can see with a lot of hives it would get expensive. I am going to get a pollen trap and mybe next year feed them pure pollen. How would you mix that to feed them on the top of frames?
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

You could dry feed, but too much of it and they might throw it out as "trash." I'd grind it up (so it isn't in pollen sacks, just powder) and mix it with some 1:1 sugar water, just enough to make it like cookie dough. Then apply the same as a patty.

Refrigerate or freeze your pollen though. It loses it's nutritional value somewhat over time.

Last year I used wax paper, however this was very messy and wasteful.

What is messy and wasteful about using wax paper? Wax paper naturally biodegrades, whereas plastic takes umpteen thousand years to break down.