Wild bees?

Thread: Wild bees?

Default Wild bees?

Hello folks, I have done lot's of reading on this site over the past few months. I finally will be taking the plunge into keeping a hive or two this year as I felt empowered from the knowledge gained here.

We have 20 acres here in North Florida and we have grown many large gardens, berry's and other eatables over the 15 years of living here. Along the way we have had many bumble bees, and other nasty wasps etc but never ever have I seen a honey bee on our property. This is one of the reasons I decided to keep a few hives.

Well, all that changed today. Yesterday I told my 7 yo to throw out a huge lollipop he was chomping on and making a mess of. Unknown to me he threw it out the door onto the back deck. About 11AM today we opened the blinds to find a ball of 50 bees or more attacking this lollipop. We couldn't walk anywhere around our 1 acre yard without being buzzed by a honey bee.

I was as giddy as a school girl. I also laid out some sugar water for them but they didn't seem to care as much for that as they did the sucker.

So do you think this could be from a feral hive or could it be a neighbors(not to close) hive? Could I set some type of trap for them or set my hive up now and bait them? I won't have bees ariving until April so this excites me.

Any feed back or info would be very much appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wild bees?

Welcome,
    & thanks for sharing the nice story. Sometimes swarm traps work, sometimes they don't. No harm in trying.
    Dan

Careful! Beekeeping can become an addiction. It is also associated with an illness called bee fever.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

So do you think this could be from a feral hive or could it be a neighbors(not to close) hive?

Take a walk and follow the bees home. The bees will be flying in a straight line (a bee line) to and from their hive.

like countryboy said take a walk and look around. If they are someones bees you should find hives somewhere, if ferel you can find a hive.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

You might try dusting a few of them with flour and timing them as to how long they take to return. If a very short time, the hive is nearby,...... OMTCW

Do what ever it takes to keep 'em coming back and set up a bait hive or two. Scout bees for a swarm are the older foragers.
    Rod

Thank you very much for the great replies and feedback. It's pouring down rain here @ the present so the lollipop has dissolved. I made a makeshift mason jar feeder and set it up. I will definitely try what you guys suggested.

It is hard to say wether they are wild or not unless you can beeline them like some suggested. But, I can tell you this you will see bees everywhere now and wonder the same question. I see them at the gas station in the garbage can, at home depot gardening center, at work out in the yard. I always wonder where their hive is. Bee warned beekeeping is very addictive!

Lol, I hear ya JG.

I couldn't help but to go and snap a few pics. I set out some candy, syrup, honey and sugar water. I wanted to see how many I could draw in. It took about 20min for them to find it.

That is the first photo that I have ever seen with "lincoln logs" propping up the feed jar.
    Do some searches on bee lining, you should be able to locate the bees colony or colonies.
    Welcome to the addiction.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Lol, I'm resourceful.

Not to be a spoil sport, but do you have AHB in your area. If so i would be very careful when you find there hive.Hopefully that's not the case. Jack

I am so, so, so sorry ebb....your an addict! So am I so welcome to the club!!!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I haven't ever heard of AHB around here so not worried about that one.

Hello, I'm Ebbtide and I'm an addict.

I do have a question. My bee's arrive in April, am I setting myself up for a robbing situation if they do belong to someone else?

Well, what you should do is bee lining as mentioned here. It'll help you track the bees to their source, and if its a wild colony you can decide if you want to a) try and extract the colony itself and start your hobby now, or b) set up swarm traps 30-40 feet away from it so you can lure in a swarm as spring progresses.

And if you choose to extract the hive, you might choose to build a bee vac. And if you've already got a bee vac, you might as well look at capturing more spring swarms. And then.. well.. that way lies madness!

If you drew that many bees in 20 minutes my guess is their home is fairly close.

I agree with Paintingpreacher, they are close, or else really active right now for some reason. Mid summer it takes 1/2 hr for a response, and my hives are only a couple hundred yards away. but that might just be my bees.
    Last edited by bigbore; 01-18-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spellllling
    welcome to your new addiction!!