Building (non-standard) plywood bodies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Building (non-standard) plywood bodies

Well, I guess it's true, no good deed goes unpunished! I feel foolish for responding to this, oh well...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It is good subject material. Direct responses are probably not helpful to the OP at this point though.

I think I would have passed on the boards covered in concrete residue. 12" saw blades are not cheap.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I get a lot of free wood from work. I use it to make tops, bottoms and nucs. I certainly wouldn't turn down 1 inch ply. As long as you keep the inside dimensions correct the extra 1/4 width won't matter. As a matter of fact I have bought boxes from two of the major manufacturers and they have different OD. My deeps have smaller OD than my mediums so I have to adjust them a bit when I put my honey supers on.

I never thought I'd ever be adding to a nine-year-old thread ...

Plywood has it's uses, although I'm not convinced it's ideal for bee-boxes, as it's such a dense material - meaning that's it's heavy and has poor insulation value.

One-inch plywood would be much better employed as the floor of a bee-shed, imo - but I'm a great believer in using whatever materials are available - so - having scored such thick plywood (if the OP is still alive, is reading this, AND still has this plywood unused ), I'd recommend that it be turned into stand-alone one-piece boxes such as Long Hives to avoid the issue of compatibility with standardised equipment.

Good to see such names as David LaFerney - I've read several of his earlier posts with great interest. I particularly like his comment: "It's about the bees, not the boxes".
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12