Building (non-standard) plywood bodies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Building (non-standard) plywood bodies

Well, I guess it's true, no good deed goes unpunished! I feel foolish for responding to this, oh well...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It is good subject material. Direct responses are probably not helpful to the OP at this point though.

I think I would have passed on the boards covered in concrete residue. 12" saw blades are not cheap.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I get a lot of free wood from work. I use it to make tops, bottoms and nucs. I certainly wouldn't turn down 1 inch ply. As long as you keep the inside dimensions correct the extra 1/4 width won't matter. As a matter of fact I have bought boxes from two of the major manufacturers and they have different OD. My deeps have smaller OD than my mediums so I have to adjust them a bit when I put my honey supers on.

I never thought I'd ever be adding to a nine-year-old thread ...

Plywood has it's uses, although I'm not convinced it's ideal for bee-boxes, as it's such a dense material - meaning that's it's heavy and has poor insulation value.

One-inch plywood would be much better employed as the floor of a bee-shed, imo - but I'm a great believer in using whatever materials are available - so - having scored such thick plywood (if the OP is still alive, is reading this, AND still has this plywood unused ), I'd recommend that it be turned into stand-alone one-piece boxes such as Long Hives to avoid the issue of compatibility with standardised equipment.

Good to see such names as David LaFerney - I've read several of his earlier posts with great interest. I particularly like his comment: "It's about the bees, not the boxes".
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    It seems like some of the people who are responding to this didn't read the question: "Aside from being non-standard, am I going to run into any horrible issues by using 1" wood instead of 3/4"?"

The short answer is no - aside from being non standard, using 1" wood won't cause horrible issues.

It isn't a question of whether or not one material is cheaper than the other "I have access to lots of free scrap" IT don't get any cheaper than free. Will anyone ever want to buy them? The conventional wisdom is don't buy used equipment anyway - unless it has healthy bees in it in which case you are selling the bees as much as the equipment. I suspect that it is a mistake to base your purchasing decisions on the resale value of used woodenware.

Depending on how you build them they don't even have to be non standard for that matter. Will they last 20 years? Probably not. Will they last 5? Probably. By then most people will either get tired of bee keeping or move into a new phase of it.

There's no disgrace in not being a wood worker, but if you can't build a hive body that uses standard frames and doesn't violate bee space, don't make that into a cautionary tale about someone else building their own stuff.

Everyone can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on the woodenware that it takes to start bee keeping, and if slapping together your own equipment out of scrap materials makes it happen, then by all means have at it. It's about the bees, not the boxes.
    +1 David. I build a lot of stuff mostly cheap wood, mostly non standard. Most answers did not answer the OP question.

One can use darn near any kind of wood Pallets, Plywood used barn boards ETC.
    So here is a tip, get the oops /cheap paint, paint each "batch" the same color, then green goes with green blue with blue etc. paint your tops and bottom the same color.
    That is what I do, Only difference is I add 2 gall of oops paint to a 5 gal bucket then add 1 or 2 gall of white to make enough for the year and then 1 winter is 1 design and 1 color. I generally do it by the hive Top+box +Box+top then a few supers. yes I need to keep track a bit but I have bees in 4 or 5 places so each is a color. So going to the Blue yard grab a few Blue supers head out. Later if you go big time and buy they could also be a different color.
    If the wood was free back up the truck.
    Also can make a quick and dirty 3 sided shed/lean to. Keep the plywood boxes under a layer of tin.
    GG

P.S. OOPs did not see the age, well advice still stands, always someone running into free wood.
    Last edited by Gray Goose; 04-03-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: did not realize the age

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose
    did not realize the age
    We can get away with that here. Not something you want to be saying to the police!

Your advice is still good.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I know it's an old thread, but I want to gripe somewhere. Lol. I have a couple boxes from betterbee from when I first started. They're the 7/8 wood they're so proud of. Made 100 splits the last few days, and I swear every single one of those boxes ended up being a split this year. That thicker wood is a real pain due to not fitting in pallet clips. So now I have several splits with an extra entrance along the back and the side against the neighboring hive...

1" ply would be horrible if one ever wants to grow enough to palletize.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I made some boxes from 1" unplaned pine and some of my telescope lids would not fit them. Side ways outside dimensions can be reduced to standard 16.25 inches but you have to keep frames clean of propolis or 10 frames gets on the tight side. Guess that is why some people drop to 9 frames. You cannot mess with inside dimensions on the length of the box without messing up bee space. Any new tops I make now are looser fitting.

If you are palleting or gang wrapping multiple colonies for winter, it does make things easier to have standard sizes.
    Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12