Queen prices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen prices

Default Queen prices

I'm starting to look at placing an order for a half dozen queens for April and it looks like prices are going up. Has anyone notices this? I think they are about $25 on average.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen prices

They are like coffee. My grandfather said that coffee would never cost what it was worth. Good queens are worth a lot.

It may have something to do with SHB in Hawaii.

I am starting to raise some for sale this spring, so they probably will drop to nothing.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

IMHO Queen prices aren't too bad 20 bucks for the amount of work required to make them.

Now for someone with 9k hives, I can see this being an issue. However, you should be making your own. Or have enough profit to pay for them.

For the hobbyist, I think the 20 dollars is pretty reasonable. Assuming you get a known good laying queen.

I'm going to try my hand at raising them this year, but I'm going to buy a few random queens for something to start with/judge against.

As for prices. I've seen from 15-35 per. More for breeders.

Broke-t... Pick me out a nice fat, egg laying machine when I place my order. *grins*

Lol! Johnny. I know what you mean.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

I guess what I was trying to get at is if prices are going up, is it due to increased demand ? I read that there is a ban on importing queen bees and packages from Australia.

Thumbs Up Re: Queen prices

ya;all right prices are going up,for my self I have stayed same price for yrs.no plans to raise prices. got my customer

base now.
    Don

Thumbs Up Re: Queen prices

and good queens

I would say around $20 plus shipping is norm. Maybe $15 for Georgia Italians.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Arround here $20 - $30 average from reputable breeders, italians beeing ~$20, carnies ~$25, and buckfast ~$30. If queen is a good layer, she can't be expensive. IMO
    ==Northumberland County Beekeeper, Trent Hills, Ontario==

I've talked with local queen producers every season for the past couple years. Each winter they talk about how many queens they'll have extra, how they are going to be able to fill all the orders, and so on. Each spring I'll call them up looking for an extra queen (emergency or last minute split) and they are all out. Every one of them. They all tell me it'll be three weeks at best before they can get me even one queen. So much for all the extras.

It's a seller's market for queens. The more queens a breeder can make, the more they sell. End of story. Demand goes up and supply stays the same, in the end economics calls that a shortage. Shortage = price goes up.

But hey, I've learned my lesson. Five years ago a queen was $10-15 (and you could get it on the spot). Today queens are $20-30 (and you need to order 6 months in advance). This means this season I'll be making my own queens, and keeping a half dozen nucs on hand for requeening and emergency cases.

Re: Queen prices

Quote Originally Posted by louborges View Post
    I guess what I was trying to get at is if prices are going up, is it due to increased demand ? I read that there is a ban on importing queen bees and packages from Australia.
    Yes, that has a lot to do with it. HI has been shut out this season, Australia too, then you take in account the effect that SHB has not only on raising the demand, but also on the mating nucs, and the southern breeders...

Basically, breeders have never been able to raise more than they can sell, and that was with HI, Australia, and all of the other places that "piggy back" through Australia...

More expense, 3 times the demand, and lots of investments into new technology and stock... Last year our packages were 46-48... this year 70-90... and we didnt make any extra from the increase, it levels out as always. Of course, last year we made 9,700 packages, and this year only 5,200... SHB forces you to change your operation a bit... what you would normally sell, you decide to hold on to in case You need it... that also drives up costs, as the queens and bees become more valuable to the producers themselves.

Hope this helps!

Anothere problem is age. Most queen breeders in MS are 60 + years old and no one to take over business. Robert is one of the few to take up family business. As producers get older they cut back or quit. Who will take their place?

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Very true. It seems that there are many Great breeders that are backing out, and those that are in line to replace them are starting from scratch and will take many, many years of trial and error before they truly learn the "dos and donts"... not to mention accumulating enough stock and equipment to provide enough queens to make a dent in the demand.

Many people seem to be turning towards these new graftless systems, which will certainly slow their productivity... also many are turning towards II as the equipment becomes more affordable, which is far too slow and costly to provide for the majority of the demand...

As producers leave the industry, it seems that more slow and expensive operations will be entering... this will create a huge supply/demand issue for our near future... causing more to start producing their own queens... causing more inbreeding and lowering production averages... causing higher prices on honey, wax, nucs, packages, and of course Queens...

Its seems to be a downward cycle for the industry... this is the reason that I am hoping to steer the next generation of breeders in the right direction for large production, grafting, and genetic selection for diversity.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-16-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: quoting

And being in that next generation, I'm very appreciative of your help and your work.

When is your book supposed to be finished? :lol:

I heard, "good luck finding queens under $18 this year"
    Dan

Sure you can find them. But they won't be worth it.

Would they be worth it if one could get cheap queens to make early season splits and then requeen 3-6 weeks later when the local queens became available?

It's something I've heard mentioned and I wonder if it's a good decision.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-16-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: quoting

Not really... you will end up spending more that way. There are plenty of good northern queens that are raised in the south for early production. I would say check around first and when ordering local queens be sure that they are not from the same lineages that you have already.

Was looking for some Midnight Queens

The Midnight hybrid is a combination of both the Caucasian and Carniolan races.

I have them... Both first and second gen midnights... when ordering them, just order our caucasians and be sure to Say "1st or 2nd Gen Midnights" in the special instructions... extremely gentle bees... I have also crossed primorsky and pure VSH with the 1st gen... stout offspring.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-16-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast