First attempt at "Candy Disks"

Default First attempt at "Candy Disks"

A few of the hives are a little light on stores, and I don't have candy boards constructed yet. So I decided to make some "candy disks." I took 3 quarts of water and brought it to a boil. Then I added 15 lbs of sugar and one cub of mega bee. I read somewhere on this site that it is enough to fill 3 deep frames when making candy frames. I figured it would be plenty to fill three 8" by 1.5" pie tins, and three 5" by 1.5" pie tins (for the nucs).

I miscalculated how much it would make. It foamed up and started boiling over (even though it was only half way full of sugar and water mixture). So I split it into two pots and finished it in that. After I filled up the three large and three small pie tins I was only about halfway done.

So I started jamming them into the freezer to get them to cool down faster so I could reuse the tins. I was running around trying to find something to put this candy into before it hardened in the pot. I ended up using some of my wife's baking pans (she's gonna be pissed). All in all I ended up with seven 5" candy disks (each about .7" thick) four 8" candy disks, and two baking pans full.

Bee's should have plenty of candy now
    Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2011 at 06:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First attempt at "Candy Disks"

Good Story,
    I've hear of people pouring it on inner covers also. A little late on my advise though.
    Dan

someone needs to start buying pans and things to use for the bees... I go to sales and pick up what I use for the bees,,then I let the wife eather just take it ,, or take it and give me her old .. kids laugh cause I have my own pots ,, pans , dishes , bowls ,, large and small forks ,, spouns and the like ... but it sure is nice not worrying if wax or what ever happens to the stuff .. and helps keep the peace ... the thing I hate is doing something ,,then she gets upset , cause I got wax or what ever on her things ...

I found some microwaveable soup containers, about 4" dia and 2" deep. The little suckers are tough as boiled owl, I can make the candy up, work a knife around the edges and pop the candy out and still reuse 'em.
    Rod

Going to have to take your word for it on the boiled owl! I pride myself on always being open to trying something new but never heard of boiled owl. Wheres my owl call and my gun? lol Nice job on the candy let us know how that works out. Ive been thinking about making some up to in case they are needed.

-Dan
    Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you added dry sugar to a mixing bowl and used just enough water from a spray bottle to get a bowl of sugar resembling moist sand. One should be able to compress the moist sugar into a cake and let it dry a few days. I've noticed this happening by accident with bags of sugar that get a little rain, or sit on wet pavement. The sugar coming into contact with moisture sets up like cement. I think I will try this because I've done the hard candy boards before and think the Mountain Camp method makes more sense. The hard candy takes too much energy and time. It is tempting to try and apply moist sugar to a board with chicken wire like you would with stucco. Has anyone else tried forming moist sugar into a sheet?

HVH
    Yeah, when I tried just moistening sugar, it just all crumbled up as it dried, making it difficult to handle. Easier to just pour in on a half-sheet of newspaper on the top bars and let it suck up the moisture from the bee's metabolism.

Anyone sprinkle pollen in?

KQ6AR - thanks for the advice, even if it was late. Some of my nucs run without inner covers, so I'd need to do something else anyway.

Pine_ridge_farms - looks like I'll be holding on to quite a few of these for next winter, hopefully they will stay. I'll keep you informed if they like it, and how it all turns out.

I do the moist sugar all the time it works well for me put just enough water into it so that it pours like molasses in winter and just pour it onto newspaper on the top bars works very well.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2011 at 06:14 AM.

You can also dump a 4# bag of sugar into a 1 gal. zip lock freezer bag and add a cup of water. Close the bag and work it till it turns to mush. Lay it across the frames and cut a few slits into the bag. They'll take it like that. Think I'm going to put some of those on this weekend.
    "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts," Daniel Patrick Moynihan

WOW, i used 20 oz of water and 10lbs of sugar and filled a Meat Loaf Tin and 2 cookie sheets to the rim......Interesting recipe though!

or maybe it was 15......i can't remember.
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Re: First attempt at "Candy Disks"

Last Tuesday (or Wed, don't remember exactly) I added a disk to two colonies. One is a 10 frame that has 2 medium boxes. The other is a 5 frame nuc, with a deep and a medium box. I put one 8" disk on the 10 frame hive, and one 5" disk on the nuc.

I checked them today and they are LOVING THEM. The 10 frame ate 1/3 of the 8" disk in 4 or 5 days. The nuc ate over 1/2 of the 5" disk. Maybe it's the pollen supplement I threw in there, or maybe they are lighter on stores than I thought. Who knows, but I might end up making another batch sooner than I thought. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you added dry sugar to a mixing bowl and used just enough water from a spray bottle to get a bowl of sugar resembling moist sand....
    If you plan far enough ahead that works fine, but it takes a long time for it to dry out and harden up like you want it, and if you just use it wet in the winter time you are adding (bad) moisture to the hive. Later in the spring moist patties might be just the thing.

Dry sugar or candy allows you to put feed where the cluster can get to it right now without adding moisture to the hive. The good thing about candy is that you can take it off and on real easy in the spring if you need to get in the hive - harder to do (not impossible) with "mountain camp" sugar.

Specialdayme:

What temperature did you heat it to?
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

275 F, or what registers on the thermometer as "soft crack."

I read on a post here (can't remember what thread) that you need to heat it up to "at least 250 F, or what's known as soft crack, or it won't solidify." I took the worst case scenario and went with what I thought soft crack was, or 275.

It ended up being a good move. It's hard enough to solidify, but I left one of the disks on my kitchen table, and when the sun hit it for a few days it eventually sagged down a little. Didn't totally lose it's shape, but just enough to tell me that it's pliable, or that the bees could actually do something with it other than licking it.

I made some with mega-bee and it came out more like badly made stale cake icing - but the bees are all over it too. I don't think they are all that picky.

BTW, I just dumped mine out on a sheet of plastic and broke it into chunks when it cooled off. Easy.

I'd be surprised if they are all over it for the mega-bee. I added a cup of it along with 3 quarts of water and 15 pounds of sugar. Who knows though.

In hind sight, one big sheet might have been so much easier.

I'm not testifying for mega-bee, but I used chunks of the candy w MB to fill holes that they had opened in a layer of plain sugar that I put in last fall, and in a couple of days they were literally all over the candy with mega bee, and not on the sugar. This was about 2 weeks ago.