Not candy boards, or candy frames, but candy patties?

Default Not candy boards, or candy frames, but candy patties?

A few of my hives are a little light on stores, and I'd like to give them a little extra insurance. I've been reading up on candy boards and candy frames, and I'd like to give them a try. Only issue is I haven't built the hardware for the candy boards yet (and I don't have the time to build it now) and I don't feel comfortable opening the hives and removing frames in this weather to insert a candy frame.

Since I was going to start to toss on a few pollen patties in the next week or two, I was wondering if I could make a candy patty (same recipe as a candy board, only pour it onto some wax paper and put it in one pound at a time) and feed it to them while slapping on a pollen patty.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or would I just be better off dry sugar feeding?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Not candy boards, or candy frames, but candy patties?

Make sugar-candy, pour it into aluminum pie plates and when cold, take candy out and place it on the inner board or directly on frames. You should put on a shim (3/4" high) to clear the candy and give bees enough room to get around.

Regards,
    France

I have used some candy boards but my favorite way to feed in the winter in Central Ohio is to make a recipe of candy and then break large pieces and feed near and on the cluster. It also takes just a minute to get in and get out in case it is cold. I won't do this below 40. My recipe is 2c sugar into 1.5c boiling water with two tbs light (not dark) corn syrup and 1/8 tsp cream of tartar. Bring to boil and keep hard boil to about 240 degrees. Then pour on a parchment paper and let cool. I make strips about 2 inches wide and break them into smaller pieces. Bees love it. Pife

Yes you can, frames are great, but not really worth the hassle IMHO. I did as above, made the candy and broke it into peices and placed above the cluster. Working great thus far!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I have done both candy and Mountain Camp method....no more candy for me! A hassle to make.
    I just lay down a paper towel or newspaper, pour on the dry sugar and I'm done. If it's a semi-warm day, I'll spray a little mist of water or HBH on top of the sugar to entice them. But really, I don't need to do it.
    The paper soaks up moisture in the hive as does the sugar. When I have taken them off in the spring, the sugar is hard and crusted. They take to it just as much as the candy board. A heck of alot less hassle and less nagging about stickiness in the kitchen!!!
    Just my two cents...

I thought about using the mountain camp method as you described River Hawk, but then I heard one of Lawrence Connor's webanairs (on BM's website). Basically, he described how dry feeding works wonders for a strong hive. But the strong hive usually isn't the one that needs it (unless you took too much from them). The weak hive is the one that needs the feed (at least, the weak one with the low stores). Connor explained how dry feeding doesn't work well for weak colonies or weak nucs because they can't break the cluster long enough to get the sugar. Eventually, you get a great mess. I decided to listen to him, especially since he wrote the book on dry feeding when he was working at Ohio State.

Quote Originally Posted by Pife View Post
    My recipe is...and 1/8 tsp cream of tartar. Pife
    Most of the conventional recipes have pulled the cream of tartar. Can't remember why but it wasn't necessary and didn't do the bees any good.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by theriverhawk View Post
    I have done both candy and Mountain Camp method....no more candy for me! A hassle to make.
    Yep, I'm with you. The only mess is in the spring when you have to clean up the excess sugar...a mess I can deal with by bringing along an extra five-gallon bucket.

I prefer the mountain camp, not only for the lack of mess (and nagging) but it takes a lot less energy in terms of gas/electric.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Some folks were saying to use left over Candy canes and you get peppermint
    in them also
    Don't listen to me I'm a Loon
    do your own search