Candy boards?

Thread: Candy boards?

Default Candy boards?

I am looking to make some candy boards and would like some input from the experienced...how wide should they be? i am thinking between 2-3" i plan on attaching 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottom to hold the fondant off the top bars and making replacement easier, cheaper than a queen excluder i have seen somewhere...any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Candy boards?

NB68,

I would suggest that you search the threads/forum for your info. You mention "candyboards" but then talk of keeping the "fondant" off of the frames.

Candy and fondant are not the same thing.

I have top entrances for winter ventilation so I can cover the inner cover escape hole with fondant without breaking seals and disturbing the bees.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

2 to 2-1/2 should be thick enough.
    But why oh why are people wasting money on the hail screen deal in there candy boards???
    We have lots of sugar that gets recycled each year from the previous year.
    The last thing ya want is to fight with a chunk of hard sugar that is stuck in a board from last year.
    Been there & done that & it's not worth the fight when ya do several hundred at a time!!!

instead of making it in the frames, i poured my candy into a baking pan 2" thick and let it harden. Just before it completely hardened, I scored it so i could break it easily. I broke it apart set it above the cluster. They were all over it yesterday. This way i didnt have to worry about frames. Works GREAT!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I just dumped mine out on a sheet of builders plastic on the kitchen table (3 layers of cardboard under it) and broke it up into big chunks after it set - about 3/4 - 1 inch thick. Put it right on the top bars under an empty super. Easy - Works good.

Yup that's real easy to clean up & reuse the chunks.
    Wait untill it warms up & the queen broods up & brace combs a mess in the candy board.
    Could be a lot of fun a cleaning that "pile " up, and if the queen is up in that mess when you remove the board.
    Just talking outside the box again!
    Been there done that, trust me it's not any fun!!!

I have done candy boards before by making hard candy and pouring it into the underneath side of the inner cover so they can access from the top box. I make candy with 1.5 C water, 2 C sugar, 2 tbs light (not dark) corn syrup, 1/8 tsp cream of tartar boiled until it reaches 240 degrees. It takes about 12 minutes to get this tem after it starts boiling. I typically pour it on one half as the cluster does not move much. When i take the inner cover off to replace with the candy board I obviously put the candy side on the cluster side. Hope this helps. It has been successful for me. I really prefer just putting this same candy near the cluster but you asked about boards. Pife